Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:32 am
([msg=88544]see Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?[/msg])

Would it be good to learn all of MySQL, or become proficient in it, before learning SQL injection? I'm planning on learning it after Java. Is that I good idea?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?

Post by Turn on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:52 am
([msg=88546]see Re: Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?[/msg])

It's not going to hurt you to learn all of SQL, and if you are already learning it, you SHOULD learn it fully! However, you should definitely be able to do SQLi without grokking it, depending on the application you are trying to attack.
Social Engineering:
<cen> .lua print ('Tsyn 9.47.-u 3 12 5')
* slickery has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (Attempting to use a SpyBot))
* cen has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (Attempting to use a SpyBot))
Turn
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:25 pm
([msg=88552]see Re: Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?[/msg])

Turn wrote:However, you should definitely be able to do SQLi without grokking it, depending on the application you are trying to attack.

I agree with that, I can't code SQL, but SQLi is somewhat doable with a lot of searching and knowing some commands. I won't recommend that if you're serious about it though, so learn it fully if you can and want to.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:32 pm
([msg=88557]see Re: Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?[/msg])

I'm planning on learning it after Java if I have time while I'm learning assembly. Thanks.

-- Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:33 pm --

I mean after I'm done with data structures in Java and I move onto assembly or during winter break.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:21 pm
([msg=88569]see Re: Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?[/msg])

Why would you move on to assembly when your grasp of Java couldn't even be described as basic (no offense intended, I'm just trying to give you an honest evaluation of your skill at this point in time)? Taking a class might have tricked you into thinking that you can just "learn data structures" and then you know how to program, but that's not how it works. Software construction is difficult and takes years of practice to master. You need far more experience building programs before you move on.

Without knowing SQL the only SQLi you'll be capable of is your run-of-the-mill
Code: Select all
' or '1' = '1

That being said, I wouldn't bother learning SQL until you can write a program that actually needs to use a database.

Finally, while Java was my first language as well, I really dislike it as a first language for people to learn. I think Python is an excellent language for noobs to learn because it's intuitive, yet extremely powerful. More importantly, it lets you make simple scripts and cute programs extremely quickly, which is all you can do starting out.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by ghostheadx2 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:36 am
([msg=88574]see Re: Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?[/msg])

Java was what my school is teaching so I have to go with that. I think your right. I'm going to probably finish comp182 this fall and probably try writing something first. That's a better idea. Thanks for telling me that.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:48 am
([msg=88586]see Re: Good to learn whole language before SQL injection?[/msg])

Regarding your initial question concerning SQL, YES.
I absolutely always recommend doing some legitimate work with SQL before diving into injections. You'll learn so much more and be able to manipulate queries in a much more effective way once you understand what's really going on behind the scenes of the SQL server. While you don't necessarily need to be some master SQL querier, it definitely helps.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to General