What sparked your interest in computers?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

What sparked your interest in computers?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:47 pm
([msg=87239]see What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

I'm wondering this because I would like to know the story of how some of you started getting into computers. I'm just kind of curious. :)
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What sparked your interest in computers?

Post by Randoph on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:47 pm
([msg=87241]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

Like many of us, I was still young when I first started caring about computers. My father knew a lot about computers and everytime he said something about them, I always wondered what he was talking about. For all I knew, he was speaking Chinese. Everything what a computer was doing, it was like magic. I had no idea how a computer did what it did and why it did what it did. It all seemed so easy with a user-friendly operating systems, though I knew whatever it was that was going on in a computer, it had to be very complex.

When I got a bit older, I started to understand computers a bit more. I spent a lot of time on them while gaming for example. While playing a game, I wondered if I could modify the game to get an advantage over other people (I was like 12 or 13 at the time, it was all very innocent). Take Minecraft for example. I used to be addicted as fuck to this game, I started making my own texture packs, set up my own little server, add more and more plugins, configure all of them etc. (Note that I was older at this time). But that never gave me any satisfaction. Yes, I was able to download some plugin from the internet and put it in some folder, but I was more interested in how these plugins work. What happends in a text file, that made things appear on a screen? Again, that was like magic.

That is when I first started coding. I downloaded a program called Eclipse. I looked up some tutorials on how to code Java, and made my very first plugin. The adrenaline I got from this was overwhelming and I wanted to make more. And so I did. I got a lot of attention on big servers where I got high ranks and a lot of people had a lot of respect for me, it was the happiest I had ever been.

After a few months, I had a huge drawback in my personal life, and I couldn't even think about gaming or programming for over 2 years.

But here I am, after 2 years of not doing anything computer related, aside from homework or watching movies.

What about yourself ghosthead?
A little rebellion now and then ... is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government.
-Thomas Jefferson
Randoph
Poster
Poster

Post by ZeroKusel on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:43 pm
([msg=87242]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

Oh man im gonna babble for a bit.

Long Version: Scroll down to bottom for the short version...

For some reason I have always been attracted to the glow of a monitor in a room. The first computer my family owned was a Tandy 1000 but I had some experience playing around with other stuff before that.

I learned how to do everything in DOS and when I finally moved to windows years later it actually bothered me. I remember learning commands in DOS from a book when I was really young and then passing that info on to my mom who then passed it on to her boss who had never heard or seen of the stuff I was doing. It really wasn't anything brilliant...I just chose to read what was in the book and mess around with it. From there I kind of gained confidence thinking that I could do stuff on a computer that adults couldn't do and...adults using computers for their job.

I later dabbled in programming with basic and in highschool I took a course. I was really bored and would often finish my programs in 1 day instead of the alloted 5.....id then add music and color and random crap like a draw a circle around my program just to see if I could.

I never wanted to go to college, I wanted to join the army so when my family talked me into going to college I just went to the one closest to home. When I got there I found out they didn't even have a computer program really. So I slithered through college doing anything I could to help people with their computers if they had problems. I was often called the "computer guy" although I had no training.

Then I went off to a couple deployments and came back and found everyone knew about computers. I was in college once again only to be a bit older than my classmates. And so many seemed to have abundant knowledge about computers that I kind of got discouraged and dropped it.

During all that time I gamed like a mad man...still do almost every day I can. I love games and am saddened at how unoriginal things are lately. So part of me know wants to learn real programming to make my own games. I have about 3 ideas and I think all three could be finished easily. One involves a new style of chess...another is a card game kind of...and a side scroller that will be combined with the card game. Im so tired of games focusing so much on graphics that the gameplay sucks.

Short Version:

Video games haha...and I hope to make some someday.
ZeroKusel
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:15 pm
([msg=87247]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

Randoph wrote:What about yourself ghosthead?

As for me, I've always been interested but I've been doing it on and off. When I was in 2nd grade, I went to a computers summer camp called Planet Bravo. I spent four or five years there doing game design, maybe the be a video game designer or developer. When I got to the age where I could do game programming, I started and realized I liked the more technical side of computers as well. Game programmer wasn't the only possible job I wanted. I had earned awards for the games I designed with MMF1 and MMF2 (if you've heard of multimedia fusion?).

I was spending every summer there and my parents wanted to have me take a break one summer from it. I did but I knew I had to learn more computers. I was behind the other kids who were into computers, but my goal was to catch up to some (maybe not all) of them. When I was in 9th grade (I skipped 8th), I ended up wanting to learn programming.

My parents didn't want me to do it on my own, so they decided to hire someone to help me (I still can't decide if that was a good mood). This was after I'd been trying to learn C++, but that's obviously not a very good first language for self teaching and I ended up too pathetic at it to make anything. Maybe I'm just giving excuses.

He taught me some Visual Basic, but then he had to move before we could finish learning. I still wanted to learn, but my parents pressured me to wait until they could hire someone.

They got some other guy and I started to learn Python, then he left but I stayed interested and decided to continue teaching myself. By now, I was at another high school and I joined the robotics team. During my later high school years, I used to read Wikipedia on IP. Anyways, they had us learn Ruby on the programmer's section of the robotics team, but also HTML, CSS, JS. I decided at that point that I still liked Python, but I learned Ruby for the sake of the team.

Anyways, the second year I was considered useful towards the end for correcting people's syntax errors.

My last year of high school, they introduced a programming class (this was last year), but it was an awful teacher. I knew I wanted to learn properly but everyone failed his Java class.

So now I'm a freshman in college who is still hellbent on learning it properly. My goal is to become a hacker type person, and in a perfect world catch up to some of the people who have advanced somewhat quicker so I can be part of that world. I've always liked to read about IP, Wi-Fi protocols, etc. and another thing I've always found cool is modding video games. When I saw a friend download others' mods in 2nd grade, I was like "I kind of want to do that but make it myself."

I also have always been interested in the structure of the Internet, computer hardware, etc. and I made a documentary on the Internet's history myself in high school.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:07 pm
([msg=87265]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by pretentious on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:18 pm
([msg=87271]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

ZeroKusel wrote:During all that time I gamed like a mad man...still do almost every day I can. I love games and am saddened at how unoriginal things are lately. So part of me know wants to learn real programming to make my own games. I have about 3 ideas and I think all three could be finished easily. One involves a new style of chess...another is a card game kind of...and a side scroller that will be combined with the card game. Im so tired of games focusing so much on graphics that the gameplay sucks.

Check out http://www.blender.org/ It has a python based game engine. I don't have more than a few hours experience with the engine but it didn't immediately require programming or anything to technical. it would be worth seeing if your ideas can be created on that platform.

What got me started? a kid in my high school class told me that he hacked world of warcraft. I googled what hacking was, found the mentors manifesto, identified with it. After a few years, got over the angry teenager mindset and realized that I can make computers think for me and make cool shit happen. And here I am.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by Wololo on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:01 am
([msg=87280]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

Computers? Installing overly large floppy disks on my windows 95 when i was probably at the age of 7-8 to play games (obviously i also played to much age of empires).
Hacking? Picking up "hacking for dummies" at the age of 14, after which i immediately became a 1337 h4xx0r.
Nah to be honest i always wanted to be a game dev, i did an education in game development, even had my own studio for a while, we won some prizes here and there but my own government who has a funding program for game studios denied our project due to being to ambitious....then i went berserk, hacked some computers, realized its lame and continued on doing vulnerability research since people pay good money for it....now hoping to one day have enough money to fund my own game project.
Wololo
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 am
([msg=87282]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

Wololo wrote:age of empires

Now there's a surprise: *wololo* :lol: My story seems similar...

My interest in computers is different from my interest in hacking, so I'll stick with the first story. For me computers were always the ultimate technological tool. TVs, model trains, other electronic toys kids have didn't compare to what was possible with computers. I still remember the first time someone older than me allowed to type in my name on the screen, I think I was 4 and completely amazed at how the letters I typed somehow showed up at the screen. I had no idea how a computer did what it did and I wanted to know more about it.

I've been into games ever since a few years after that. After a while people talked about this new game called Pokemon and the Missingno in it. My parents didn't want to buy a GameBoy for me, so instead I went looking for other ways to play it. It was only when someone showed me how to install an emulator that I could play that game. While I was looking for emulators, I found a program allowing emulation of old systems. That led me to QBasic and I started trying to program things. After a while I got bored, there wasn't much information on that old language any more (even though Windows 98 still came with an interpreter), but what I learned I never forgot.

Figuring out how things worked always pushed me to find out more (not only on computers), breaking something by seeing how far I could go and picking it apart after it broke to see how it worked. Contrary to that the concurrent gaming nearly destroyed my creativity, motivation and grades. It was only after a while I got back to programming, which eventually got me to hacking. I finally found a use for my interest/talents in computing without it being destructive and found out there were people who actually knew more than me, but that's a story for another time.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Wololo on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:45 am
([msg=87283]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:
Wololo wrote:
I've been into games ever since a few years after that. After a while people talked about this new game called Pokemon and the Missingno in it. My parents didn't want to buy a GameBoy for me, so instead I went looking for other ways to play it. It was only when someone showed me how to install an emulator that I could play that game.

Hahaha, same here. My parents knew someone who had a gameboy, and he didn't do very good at school so they didn't want to buy one for me. I remember running an emulator and playing pokemon yellow....and finding out a about snes emulators and playing all those games on my computer :D. Good old times :D.

I guess finding ways around certain limitations is basically what hacking is.
Wololo
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:02 pm
([msg=87340]see Re: What sparked your interest in computers?[/msg])

I wanted to hack my crazy ex-girlfriend's facebook to see if she was cheating.
No lies.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Next

Return to General