Getting a grasp on things.

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Getting a grasp on things.

Post by v_freak on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:45 pm
([msg=87031]see Getting a grasp on things.[/msg])

Hey all, been lurking around here gleaning what information I can. I recently started ramping up my hacking journey and decided to purchase a handful of books;

Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
RTFM: Red Team Field Manual
The Hacker Playbook

While I have been flipping through all of them trying to pick up things here and there, most of it is foreign to me. The core book I wanted to work through when I picked them all up was HtAoE, and I have been working through it since. However a lot of the concepts, even though he works you into them, seem to not really click and make sense. I'm always trying really hard to understand everything I read, but a lot of how the assembly works and how bytes are interpreted just doesn't make sense.

So I was looking for advice on more reading material in this area of study. I would prefer something non-security related that goes over how the computer works on a software level. With lots of diagrams and pictures ;) .

Thanks ahead of time for any recommended books or online courses you guys post.

Also hope this is an alright area for this post.
Program your brain, or someone will do it for you.
v_freak
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Getting a grasp on things.

Post by WallShadow on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:05 am
([msg=87034]see Re: Getting a grasp on things.[/msg])

Sounds like you need some basic experience programming various things and integrating with the system. Perhaps you might want to get some system adminstration books or something like that to learn how the components of a system work?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ghost107 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:25 am
([msg=87036]see Re: Getting a grasp on things.[/msg])

Those books gives only a brief introduction, you should chose a book that explains in detail how they work.

Art of Assembly Language (Read DOS 16 Bit version, the other 2 books are about HLA), The book starts with System machine organization, explains about Data representation, Boolean algebrae, System organization, etc.
http://www.plantation-productions.com/W ... index.html
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by pretentious on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:39 am
([msg=87037]see Re: Getting a grasp on things.[/msg])

v_freak wrote:I'm always trying really hard to understand everything I read, but a lot of how the assembly works and how bytes are interpreted just doesn't make sense.

So I was looking for advice on more reading material in this area of study. I would prefer something non-security related that goes over how the computer works on a software level. With lots of diagrams and pictures ;) .

I got a book that I recommended here https://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=11183
I still haven't finished reading this :P (I've been busy) but I think it's really good so far to give a big picture of how things work on a low level.
For a higher level, I bought a book on C for university. The name is literally 'A Book on C' by Al Kelly and Ira Pohl. It seems fine, kinda hard to say because I already knew almost everything it covered before buying the book(I wanted to be well prepared for the class and forgot how awesome I already am :P )
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by v_freak on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 pm
([msg=87041]see Re: Getting a grasp on things.[/msg])

Thanks for all the replies. I'm slowly making a book list of things to buy and read. Its growing a bit fast but should help me a lot.
Program your brain, or someone will do it for you.
v_freak
New User
New User

Post by Wololo on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:14 am
([msg=87114]see Re: Getting a grasp on things.[/msg])

It depends on what you want.

If you want to test for owasp top 10 vulnerabilities then hacking: the art of exploitation is the wrong book.
Pentesting web apps is very easy and you can learn this in just a few weeks, just learn to use a tool like burp suite (install kali linux) to intercept and modify requests and fuzz for vulnerabilities.

Just dont get to much into buffer overflows and assembly yet, unless your main focus is to do hardcore reverse engineering and become a 0day researcher.
Wololo
New User
New User

Return to General