Yakuake

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Yakuake

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:19 am
([msg=82589]see Yakuake[/msg])

This is a very neat tool a friend introduced me to. Depending on what 'nix OS you're rocking, it may have a different name. You may just have to Google it to find which one goes with your OS. But anyway, this tool sets a terminal to drop down at the press of a button, then wrap itself up and get out of your way when you press it again.

I'm currently using the hell out of it, as I'm learning 'nix. I definitely recommend it to y'all.
My armor is Contempt. My shield is Disgust. My sword is Hatred.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
/sbin/poweroff
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Yakuake

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:19 pm
([msg=82591]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

Guake or Tilda are two other similar utilities, I use the former. And I agree, it took me months before I learned about it, but once I did... let's just say I never went back :)
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tgoe on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:39 am
([msg=82630]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

Do y'all actually play any Quake?
Quake to Quake Live, I'd be interested in setting something up 8-)
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 am
([msg=82638]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

Despite my friend's insistence, I haven't played Quake. My schedule is just so packed between work and study. It does look good though.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
/sbin/poweroff
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by pretentious on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:54 am
([msg=82649]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

HTS... that's a forum i haven't seen in a long time
I've played a little with these utilities. Personally, not for me. I find that I usually have several terminals open at once and will use terminator or will just have them tiled and will put them on different work spaces to keep them out of the way.

It's cool and matrix'y but If I need quick shell access, I've just got the terminal key-bound with ctrl-space and ctrl-d kills it.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by hackuin60s on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:58 am
([msg=82650]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

Its a good program.
But, It doesn't suit kind of work I usually do, as I spend most of the time coding RoR projects, I have configured my .zshrc for my terminator, vim and tmux scripts for quick access to my needs.
Certified: RHCSA, RHCE, CCNA.
Free software" is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of "free" as in "free speech," not as in "free beer."
hackuin60s
New User
New User

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:29 am
([msg=82652]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

pretentious wrote:HTS... that's a forum i haven't seen in a long time.
I find that I usually have several terminals open at once...

Welcome back! Hey, what's the use of having multiple terminals open? At my stage of exploration, I haven't seen a purpose to it.

hackuin60s wrote:Its a good program.
But, It doesn't suit kind of work I usually do, as I spend most of the time coding RoR projects, I have configured my .zshrc for my terminator, vim and tmux scripts for quick access to my needs.

So Cyberdrain and I are alone in using it? :c Yeah, definitely good. I love it. I am writing all of the questions and answers to a file and saving it to my laptop, so when I'm recording what I'm doing as I work, I just hit one key to do my work, then another to hide it and go back to my word processor. I love it!
/sbin/poweroff
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 pm
([msg=82661]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

Hmm, the use of multiple terminals... Well, you can run some jobs in the background, but if you need real time access to multiple sources of data, multiple terminals are useful. Tmux for example will run on any terminal emulator, so can be combined with whatever you're using. I like the fact that those drop-down terminals saves the state without being intrusive, while switching from the drop-down to full-screen to gone is just a button away. Everyone has a different idea and preference and can configure their system as such. That's the power of Linux :)
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by pretentious on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:26 am
([msg=82672]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

Misanthropydotexe wrote:Welcome back!

:D
Misanthropydotexe wrote:
Hey, what's the use of having multiple terminals open? At my stage of exploration, I haven't seen a purpose to it.

cyberdrain wrote:
Hmm, the use of multiple terminals... Well, you can run some jobs in the background, but if you need real time access to multiple sources of data, multiple terminals are useful. Tmux for example will run on any terminal emulator, so can be combined with whatever you're using.

Pretty much this. Recent example was working on different directries and different processes. You can multitask with jobs and stuff but with todays screen real estate and window management, I don't see a need to.

cyberdrain wrote:Everyone has a different idea and preference and can configure their system as such. That's the power of Linux :)

That's a good summary. I've played with different IDE's, applications and distros, trying to decided what's right for me. because I can! I've had basically the same set up over 2, 6 month distro updates so I have probably come close.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by tgoe on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 am
([msg=82695]see Re: Yakuake[/msg])

HTS... that's a forum i haven't seen in a long time

Bro, you appear to be more active than I am... :x

So Cyberdrain and I are alone in using it?

I use it all day long. For me, the OS + shell is the IDE. Terminals + an auxiliary drop-down terminal seems to work better than a giant app with ALT+F2/ALT+3/run dialogs, etc.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to General