Cheating bar codes.

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Cheating bar codes.

Post by Hello World on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:46 am
([msg=7519]see Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

I was just wondering if it were possible to print out barcodes place them over the original barcodes of products and buy them that way, cheating the system. At walmart you can buy stuff at the computers so it wouldn't have to be handled by a human. Anyway, just wondering if it's possible.
Hello World
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cheating bar codes.

Post by ScrAm on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:46 am
([msg=7523]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

Yeah, it'd probably work, as long as it doesn't have anything on it to set off the alarms by the doors.
ScrAm
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Hello World on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm
([msg=7571]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

ScrAm wrote:Yeah, it'd probably work, as long as it doesn't have anything on it to set off the alarms by the doors.

Cool, I'm gonna try it.
Hello World
New User
New User

Post by MrRubix on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:24 pm
([msg=7572]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

That's really risky. I know at grocery stores, they have this weighing mechanism where you can scan your own stuff but it also needs to be weighed. They make sure the item scanned matches up with the correct item weight. No store is going to blindly allow people to scan barcodes without some sort of extra security measure. I really wouldn't risk it.
MrRubix
New User
New User

Post by mosshack on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:50 pm
([msg=7574]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

Its possible but you have to know what you are doing, if you dont then i wouldnt recomend it unless your looking for a reason to get your name in the police records. Really isnt worth trying it.
mosshack
New User
New User

Post by Hello World on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:07 am
([msg=7621]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

MrRubix wrote:That's really risky. I know at grocery stores, they have this weighing mechanism where you can scan your own stuff but it also needs to be weighed. They make sure the item scanned matches up with the correct item weight. No store is going to blindly allow people to scan barcodes without some sort of extra security measure. I really wouldn't risk it.

I did it today and got SO SO lucky. Scary story.
Hello World
New User
New User

Post by sync350 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:57 pm
([msg=9060]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

Well like everyone said, it really wasn't worth risking it :p
Hopefully you learned your lesson. There's more involved than just covering up the barcodes, you really have to know what you are doing.
sync350
New User
New User

Post by Froger on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:44 pm
([msg=9199]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

Lol at walmart as long as you take the lil bar off the item you can walk right out of the store with the items. A friend of mine bough 12 2 liters and left with 40 2 liters of soda.
Froger
New User
New User

Post by Silv3r on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:51 am
([msg=13000]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

lol wow, thts totaly cool hey, but VERY risky like they said. i might wana try it sometime,but not anytime soon
Silv3r
New User
New User

Post by aeronwy on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:57 am
([msg=13248]see Re: Cheating bar codes.[/msg])

MrRubix wrote: No store is going to blindly allow people to scan barcodes without some sort of extra security measure. I really wouldn't risk it.

I don't know how self-service checkouts work in Walmart, but here there's usually someone by a computer showing all the items being scanned at each checkout (so they can "okay" age restricted items etc.), but it's usually only one person and they'll often have to go and help someone who's having trouble scanning an item or the software is crying about an item being on the belt.
All of the checkouts seem to work on weight too i.e. the belts or the bagging area can tell when you haven't put the item you've just scanned one the belt/in the bag. I can't imagine they have the actual weight of all the items stored in their system, so it might just be it's checking for an increase in weight after each scan.
So yeah, they don't really let people just scan items and go (at least not here), but if the weight thing does check for just an increase and someone could create a distraction (and you don't pick up anything with a tag on it), it's probably not as risky as going alone and hoping for the best...
aeronwy
New User
New User

Next

Return to General