Facebook messenger on iPhone

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Facebook messenger on iPhone

Post by Shadow1996 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:00 pm
([msg=89395]see Facebook messenger on iPhone[/msg])

Newbie here, I apologize if I've posted in the wrong area. I suspect that my Facebook messenger has been hacked. I've had several incidents happen when I open the fb messenger app on my iPhone. I get an alert telling me my session expired and requires me to sign in. Upon signing in, I then receive SMS message indicating a confirmation code for login has been sent to my mobile number. After that alert, I then get text message with confirmation code. However the text message has a name visible on top of the message. The name is that of someone I'm familiar with, but have never had any contact with. This person is not in my contacts either. Puzzled on why his name is listed. I've sent messages to Facebook, but have not heard anything back from them. I've changed passwords, and it continued to happen Would anyone know what this could imply? Have I been hacked?
Shadow1996
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Facebook messenger on iPhone

Post by x509 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:37 am
([msg=89396]see Re: Facebook messenger on iPhone[/msg])

I'm not entirely sure as I've never been in this situation, but here are some things I advise you to look into.
Security Tab - Under this section, look for the 'active sessions' menu. This menu will show you all active sessions for your Facebook account. From there, you can see the different types of computers, operating systems, and locations. Now, bear in mind that the mobile section and messanger section are phone related, and if you run 4G or similar, the device could be connecting from another State. So, I would recommend you look for suspicious sessions in that tab. After you have done this, maybe you will want to end all the sessions, which you can simply do with the "End this session" button on the bottom of each session listing. Start a session with the devices that you are using and take note of them. If you end up seeing more sessions later on, or devices you don't own, then you might have a real problem on your hand.
Next, I recommend you think about any recent programs you might have downloaded, or shady links you could have been visiting. It could be that you fell victim to a social engineering attack, or similar. If you find active sessions you are not controlling, I might recommend cleaning up your browser, deleting recent addons, removing cache, history, etc, etc. Then go to your e-mail and change your password (I might even do this from a computer that I don't frequently use to log into facebook, because maybe there is spyware on your computer at this point). After all this is done, I would sit back and monitor it again. This will pretty much be your best bet in determining if someone is tampering with your account and how to knock them back a few notches.
x509
New User
New User

Re: Facebook messenger on iPhone

Post by Shadow1996 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:09 pm
([msg=89413]see Re: Facebook messenger on iPhone[/msg])

Thanks for the info. I'm almost positive it's the Ex. I'm just having a hard time finding out how or what was used. It's almost as if the SMS is being redirected to an unknown number. From what I researched at this point I think I may have been sent a "fake login page". So my search to educate myself on cracking a Facebook account will continue.
Shadow1996
New User
New User

Return to General