Programming knowledge for hacking computers

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Programming knowledge for hacking computers

Post by doubleman on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:23 pm
([msg=6588]see Programming knowledge for hacking computers[/msg])

Now, I would never hack anyone's computer with the purpose of destroying it. I would probably never hack it just to hack it, because I would be afraid of getting caught, unless I knew the person. I thought I heard somewhere that you can make a vulnerability so you can get in the hacked computer, and then other hackers (less nice one's) can do bad things once in. But this is not what this post is about.

Back a while ago when I wanted to be a hacker because I thought it was cool, though I didn't know about fun. I was doing something with telnet, and I don't think I used a lot of programming. I know I am ignorant on this, and the answer is probably no. But is computer programming knowledge necessary to hack a computer? Or do we just telnet around or something, and find an open port and we're in? Without scripts pre-made for you of course. Though I don't know much about that either.
doubleman
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Programming knowledge for hacking computers

Post by mosshack on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:29 pm
([msg=6590]see Re: Programming knowledge for hacking computers[/msg])

Hacking in my eyes is fun. Ok so telnet and you in but programming is there as a resource incause you need it i think. Im presuming since i have hacked before, but from waht io have heard you only use programming instead of downloading programs. You just use it to make your own programs e.g. port scanner
mosshack
New User
New User

Post by renjithr on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:46 pm
([msg=6594]see Re: Programming knowledge for hacking computers[/msg])

hi guys.
i m new to hacking but it was in my mind for the last wo years.now i think i should continue with .i was thinking to use hacking in a positive manner to save industries and cooperate word from being hacked.i nede more information on telnet and how it works.pls guide me.
renjithr
New User
New User

Post by doubleman on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:59 pm
([msg=6658]see Re: Programming knowledge for hacking computers[/msg])

Mosshack, could you reword that? You said "ok so telnet and you in but programming is there as a resource incause you need it I think". I didn't understand that. Its okay if english is your second language or something, I don't mind, I just couldn't tell what you said. "ok so telnet and you in..." Me and telnet in what? What are we in?
doubleman
New User
New User

Post by Darktactic on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:31 pm
([msg=7019]see Re: Programming knowledge for hacking computers[/msg])

You will need to learn how to code with several different languages in order to be an effective hacker. For hacking websites you will need PHP (and as much as you can learn about SQL and Oracle) in order to make shells and scripts to crack into places. You can also use SQL injection (the methods are plentiful) if you learn enough. Java and HTML are relatively useless languages, but still remain useful to know, especially as a begginer. Most sites now that are hackable with Java and HTML are either peices of crap or the webmaster is a 12 year old kid. Any good, and well secured website will usually be coded in some form of a database related language like PHP. You may also want to learn Perl, which is good for making exploits with. Learn what you can about networking as well, as it's another great way to get into websites, and in your case, into computers as well. Learn some Apache. Languages like C#/C++, BASIC, Ruby, and Python are great for making programs and exploits that can be used to crack things. Also I would highly recommend getting some form of Unix, like Linux and what not. Wether you want to be a White Hat (Good hacker) or a Black Hat (Uber Badarse Evil Hacker) or just a nerdy guy sitting at home sweating up a storm in your computer chair, you will want to learn just about all of this (and more). On the other hand, if you want to be one of those 13 year old kids who makes these little hacker gangs online and uses other people's exploits to crack and deface websites and goes around telling everyone that he's hardcore, and he gets all of these other teenage tard muffin followers and then eventually gets caught and goes to jail and cries the rest of his life, then the above knowledge is not required. Hence, you would be a script kiddie. Happy Hackerzing!
Darktactic
New User
New User

Post by nathandelane on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 am
([msg=7069]see Re: Programming knowledge for hacking computers[/msg])

Darktactic wrote:You will need to learn how to code with several different languages in order to be an effective hacker... Languages like C#/C++, BASIC, Ruby, and Python are great for making programs and exploits that can be used to crack things. Also I would highly recommend getting some form of Unix, like Linux and what not. Wether you want to be a White Hat (Good hacker) or a Black Hat (Uber Badarse Evil Hacker) or just a nerdy guy sitting at home sweating up a storm in your computer chair, you will want to learn just about all of this (and more)....

This is some good information.

renjithr wrote:...i nead more information on telnet and how it works. Please guide me.

Telnet uses a basic streaming connection-based TCP/IP connection. Learn a programming language and look up TCP socket programming. In fact I don't think that Telnet even does any handshaking - it's the basic of the basic of TCP.

--

In my opinion, you should learn to program if you want to be involved in the hacker community. How To Become A Hacker is an essay written by Eric S. Raymond, a very influential person in the hacker community - I might call him the Martin Luther (not Martin Luther King Jr.) of Hackerdom - he (Martin) compiled the first German Bible, effectively unifying the German language and Eric compiled the first dictionary of hacker jargon, The New Hackers Dictionary. Anyway if you really want to get deep into computers, then you should learn a programming language, learn what it's good for, learn how to write small effective programs (not hacks or cracks) in it, then look at some other programming languages and learn what they're good for, and learn them. I often use Java or C# when I want to write something with a GUI, because they're very fast at that. On the other hand a simple program might be more useful to write in Ruby or C++. It all depends on what it is or how fast I need it (because I know how to do some things better than others in each language). If you just want to ride on the backs of others, I guess that's okay, but learning it for yourself is much more exciting.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Return to Programming