Who Wants To Learn How To Program?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Re: Programmer!!!!

Post by eljonto on Fri May 15, 2009 5:06 am
([msg=23750]see Re: Programmer!!!![/msg])

1234anima wrote:Can you define your program or your just want to show that you copy a program and say"Wallah"I know how to program"
believe Ive seen a lot of programmer in my country and other countries..They can program but they can not define the basic of the program they are executing!!!!!..I am anot a noob and Im not a programmer...I am a critic!!!!

What the hell are you on about ..? :?
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?

Post by AtlasDark on Fri May 15, 2009 5:23 am
([msg=23751]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

I'm thinking that he means to say that there are some people who merely memorize the code structure and don't attempt to understand how it essentially functions (alike knowing but not understanding), or something to that effect.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by Encrypted Organs on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 am
([msg=26442]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

AtlasDark wrote:I'm thinking that he means to say that there are some people who merely memorize the code structure and don't attempt to understand how it essentially functions (alike knowing but not understanding), or something to that effect.

Exactly what came across my mind just the other day...

-Yes I'm but a nooblet amongst all of you *Pros*:). Yet, I've learned some HTML/XML/XHTML, the basics and maybe more. Yet I go back and realize all I've done is really memorized all of the "tags", etc.. Without knowing the it essentially functions and it's effects.

Don't get me wrong, I do know more or less just I felt I needed a true understanding of the Languages before moving any further, so I've taken a trip back to HTML. I do advise on most if not all beginner programmers to start with the foundations and build from them.

It might not be the most exciting language to start off with, though in the long run it you will learn it was for the best. To be a hacker does not mean, to sit and think "Hmm, I want to do that".. and it's Done. 8-) It's Practice,practice and when you think You've had enough of it, it's more more practice.
-I'm a late starter or so I feel at 19, to be starting off with HTML is quite basic but quite needed. My plans are to hopefully by next year today I'd expect to be done with the basic elements to programming and finding myself done with JS/BV6/Python.. Those are just some set goals I have in mind.

Anyways,
-I just had the thought of placing my print on here, and if any help or perhaps a better outlook on "Hacking" was given then I'm happy for you..

With that in mind, I wish the best of luck to each and every single one of you. ;)
Encrypted Organs
New User
New User

Post by SpecOps5159 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 am
([msg=26487]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

hey can anybody want to help teach me to be a hacker i have some ideas but i just dont know how to put them in motion just yet but i am will ing to learn if your interested my email is specops5159@yahoo.com feel free to email me if your interested i kinda have some experience but not very much so any help is welcome
SpecOps5159
New User
New User

Post by lonestar86 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:03 am
([msg=26900]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Edit: I'm looking for a good Delphi 2009 resource.

Reason: Decided on Delphi instead of C#
lonestar86
New User
New User

Post by nathandelane on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:30 pm
([msg=27512]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

It's been a while since I made any additions to this thread. I appreciate most of the recent comments, but one theme that I continue to find throughout this site and many other beginner programming resources (of the general type) has been bothering me a lot lately. It may be necessary to clarify how programming languages fall into several different families.

Many people have mentioned that it is important to learn HTML as a beginning programmer. In fact one of my favorite authors, Eric S. Raymond, a highly influential hacker (read programmer) himself gave the following advice:

Eric S. Raymond, How To Become A Hacker wrote:learn how to write HTML, the Web's markup language. If you don't know how to program, writing HTML will teach you some mental habits that will help you learn. So build a home page. Try to stick to XHTML, which is a cleaner language than classic HTML.

Let me clarify though, learning XHTML is not meant to make you a programmer or teach you programming. XHTML and the HTML family of languages all have their roots in the "M" of their acronyms. That "M" stands for Markup. XHTML is a markup protocol, which is not a programming language per se. You can't use variables, there are no control structures, there is no such thing as a function or procedure in XHTML, therefore it does not really qualify as a programming language. I believe that the purpose of learning XHTML is three-part

• First it teaches you how to think like a programmer. Thinking like a programmer involves gaining an understanding of how changing one line of code affects another. It involves being detail-oriented and requires thinking ahead, layout out patterns and designing before starting to program.
  • Second I believe that it teaches you that program structure is important. If you don't write your XHTML correctly, then it'll probably still do something, but not what you expect it to do. If you program XHTML well, then it will do exactly what you expect it to do in all modern browsers (post IE 6).
  • And third I think it teaches communication to some extent. Now communication must still be learned, but the purpose of learning XHTML is so that you have the ability to effectively communicate your intent; documentation, tutorials, resumes all rely on communication and good communication. Having a web site or even a single web page for a programming project goes a long way and tells a lot about a programmer and his desire to become better.

Use the skills you pick up learning XHTML to learn other languages. But XHTML is far from a means to an end. You must still learn about the key elements of programming languages, and utilize them in a true programming language. Some examples of true programming languages include C++, Java, Python, Perl, ADA, and Ruby. Even JavaScript (ECMAScript Standard) falls heavily into this category. What makes up a true programming language? I have already mentioned a few characteristics. Here they are again along with a few more. These are the things that you really need to get a good understanding of:

• Control Structures (conditionals like if...then...else, while-loops, and for-loops)
  • Conditional Expressions (usually found in the form of if(...) {...} else [if(...)] {...})
  • Variables and special variables like arrays and objects
  • Functions and procedures (even if the language doesn't differentiate between them)
  • Modules or use of libraries (like Windows' dynamic link library or DLL pattern or Linux' .SO elf library systems)

Hope that helps clarify a little.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by tedhead2 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:22 pm
([msg=28553]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

I use Visual basic all the time! If you guys want some more help i can teach you! :D
BASIC: 1, 2, 3, 4 5, 7, 10
Realistic: None
App: 1, 2
Javascrip: 1, 2
Extbasic: None
Stego: None
IRC(IRS?): None
tedhead2
New User
New User

Post by HailJava on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:22 pm
([msg=30251]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

I would like to learn many languages, right now I am learning Java script

Im stuck on assigning if statements.

I wanted to make a statement true and if it was true it would show the statement or text.

something like this XD

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
{
Var x=10;
if (x==true)
{
document.write("Hello WOrld");
}

</script>
</head>
</html>

there are plenty of mistake and Im trying to figure them out.
HailJava
New User
New User

Post by hydrodev on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:46 pm
([msg=30252]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

you want to do something like this...

<script type="text/javascript">
var x=10;
if (x==10)
{
document.write("Hello WOrld");
}
</script>

You had a random bracket out of place in your code. You were also checking to see if var x was true, but it was set to a number. So i changed the if to check if the var is == 10, which is TRUE. Then , the code in the IF should run.
hydrodev
New User
New User

Post by xfelix on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:38 am
([msg=31432]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Conditional statements for fun and profit!?!?! FTW codez!!
Code: Select all
<script>
if(true===true)
{
   document.write("HEY");
}

if(true)
{
   document.write("HEY");
}

if(1)
{