NooB here!

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

NooB here!

Post by cyberpirate on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:46 pm
([msg=35981]see NooB here![/msg])

Hello everyone. I want to get into the security + for computers and the IT guys at my job told me to go for programming first.

I know there is C++ and Java and such, so which should I begin learning?
We shall win as a team, or die as individuals.
cyberpirate
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NooB here!

Post by sanddbox on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 pm
([msg=35982]see Re: NooB here![/msg])

cyberpirate wrote:Hello everyone. I want to get into the security + for computers and the IT guys at my job told me to go for programming first.

Learn Java first; it's high-level and it will teach you good OOP concepts without making you have to worry about memory (it has automated garbage collection). After that, you can gradually learn more languages and gravitate towards lower-level languages.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by cyberpirate on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:07 am
([msg=36087]see Re: NooB here![/msg])

Awesome! I'll start with Java first like you said. Thanks a lot!
cyberpirate
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:46 am
([msg=36092]see Re: NooB here![/msg])

I'll make a case for the other end of the spectrum :D

Learning C or C++ first will probably give you a better understanding of programing concepts, since it forces you to delve a bit deeper than something like Java. However, Java would certainly be easier to learn if it's your first language.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by cyberpirate on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm
([msg=36125]see Re: NooB here![/msg])

I could go for that. I know some C++ from 'C++ for Dummies' and understood it clearly. Oh how I am in a tangle now. Java or C++> What to choose, what to choose.....
cyberpirate
New User
New User

Post by mattseanbachman on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm
([msg=36127]see Re: NooB here![/msg])

cyberpirate wrote:Hello everyone. I want to get into the security + for computers and the IT guys at my job told me to go for programming first.

I can't answer the question you posed, but I thought I'd jump in with my two cents with what your coworkers said. Sec+ is not a programming certification, and I'd hate to have you think that it is, learn a computer language in preparation, only to find out that it doesn't help you even a little bit. Security+ is a high-level overview of what information security entails. You don't need to know much more about buffer overflows than what they are; anything else is gravy. It can definitely be helpful in the long run, but if you're just looking at the certification itself, I personally think studying TCP/IP would be a much greater help than any specific programming language. Of course probably the best preparation for Security+ would be studying the course material directly, which can be done basically for free online via Google and the CompTIA course objectives for the certification buried somewhere in their obtuse website.

If I could ask you a question, what is your strategic goal with the Security+? What I mean by that is what do you hope to accomplish in the long run, in the big picture? Because you seem to be asserting two things with your post: 1) that you're interested in information security, and 2) that you're interested in programming. There's nothing that says that they're mutually exclusive; I'd just be interested to hear how you're trying to tie Security+ to programming.
mattseanbachman
New User
New User

Post by cyberpirate on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:02 am
([msg=36145]see Re: NooB here![/msg])

1) that you're interested in information security, and 2) that you're interested in programming. There's nothing that says that they're mutually exclusive; I'd just be interested to hear how you're trying to tie Security+ to programming.[/quote]

Okay man. Basically, for me you have to put 1 and 2 together. The IT guys I know told me to study the programming languages (like C++ and JAVA) since it will help me with getting a Security + certification.

Just put in an exclusive 3 that says I want to learn Security +.
I just want to know what I have to accomplish to reach it.
cyberpirate
New User
New User

Post by UNL2009 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:54 pm
([msg=36603]see Re: NooB here![/msg])

imo, if you want to start programming, I'd suggest starting with C. Ya Java is easily understood and has many automated features, but that may hurt you in the long run. You won't learn shit if you load up Netbeans/Eclipse/JGrasp and just start to program. If you were to start with Java, I'd suggest doing it through vi or emacs. It'll force you to learn the exact spellings of key words and structure. That's how I learned C, and it really made me look closer at what I'm doing and why it works/doesn't work.

Its a bit more difficult to start, but once you're comfortable you'll be better off.
UNL2009
New User
New User

Return to Programming