Wifi Router capcity

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

Wifi Router capcity

Post by jeonews420 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:11 am
([msg=85470]see Wifi Router capcity[/msg])

hello everyone..
1.i want to buy a wifi router to serve more than 800 to 1000 users or devices simultaniously. of which about 200 may streaming HD videos at the same time.
2.i also want to spread the range of that wifi router.
please mention how to know the capcity of simultanious user handling of a router?
thanks for your help.
jeonews420
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Wifi Router capcity

Post by Iblist on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:54 am
([msg=85474]see Re: Wifi Router capcity[/msg])

For something like that, you'll want to buy a router which has enterprise options. If you put a router in enterprise mode users will authenticate with an authentication server with their own set of credentials. You'll need to setup an authentication server to make this work, usually a device seperate from the router.

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WPA-Personal-vs-Enterprise/td-p/103306 This explains it better than I just did. As for how to enable enterprise mode, I would look it up on the manufacturers website and google.

As for signal boosting, you have two options. Firstly, you could try using a signal booster. Basically a bigger, more powerful antenna. However, that still runs into the problems normal wifi antennas face i.e, doors and walls reduce signal strength. Depending on the building, that could be fine. The other option is using multiple routers. You can essentially have a bunch of routers spread out over a large area broadcasting for the same network. So, if you have a very large area to cover and plenty of rooms, that's probably the better option. To figure out how to set that up, same thing, manufacturers website and google.
Those who create and rely upon brilliant and complex creations are often destroyed by some idiot plugging an infected usb stick somewhere they shouldn't have.
Iblist
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by akorshikai on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:34 pm
([msg=85484]see Re: Wifi Router capcity[/msg])

jeonews420 wrote:hello everyone..
1.i want to buy a wifi router to serve more than 800 to 1000 users or devices simultaniously. of which about 200 may streaming HD videos at the same time.
2.i also want to spread the range of that wifi router.
please mention how to know the capcity of simultanious user handling of a router?
thanks for your help.

Well if your expectation is that you buy one single router, you're boned. Not possible. You'll need multiple routers.

Do some research on 802.11 protocols, then come to the table with some realistic expectations; then we'll talk numbers.
akorshikai
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:22 am
([msg=85490]see Re: Wifi Router capcity[/msg])

I read somewhere that Wifi wasn't designed for large scale projects, so you might be better off with Ethernet. I found this enlightening. Note that the link is outdated and newer standards can go much higher than 802.11g with 54 Mbit/s (n: 600 Mbit/s or ac: 1300 Mbit/s), but you'll still deal with interference.

akorshikai wrote:Well if your expectation is that you buy one single router, you're boned. Not possible. You'll need multiple routers. Do some research on 802.11 protocols, then come to the table with some realistic expectations; then we'll talk numbers.

So, this basically.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by standslate on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:48 pm
([msg=93415]see Re: Wifi Router capcity[/msg])

You will have a main unit which is connected to the internet and it connects to smaller 'repeater' units, which repeat the signal and increase the network coverage and they only need to be powered.
standslate
New User
New User

Post by Tanjaddaniel on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:08 am
([msg=98608]see Re: Wifi Router capcity[/msg])

You can go for a variety of routers available in the market, as it depends on the location, where the usage of the best network can see. And about the answer to your question is... Wi-Fi Network Scaling Theoretical Limits. Many individual wireless routers and other points of access can support up to about 250 linked devices. For instant support to know more about how can you Add Road Runner Email To Outlook to make your email data more secure please visit the website http://www.roadrunnersupport247.com/blog/add-roadrunner-email-to-outlook/ for more information and best technical support.
Tanjaddaniel
New User
New User

Return to Telecommunications