Page 1 of 2

linux or windows

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:02 pm
by NEW_TWO_HACKING
im getting a new laptop soon and was wondering which of these i should put on it
please suggest why you think so
thanks

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:08 pm
by centip3de
NEW_TWO_HACKING wrote:im getting a new laptop soon and was wondering which of these i should put on it
please suggest why you think so
thanks


It depends, what are going to use it for?

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:12 pm
by NEW_TWO_HACKING
i wanna have a fast computer which i heard ubuntu is good
overall i heard ubuntu is best for most things do you agree?...
what do you use?

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:38 pm
by knownerror
Do you plan on gaming? If so Windows is the better option.

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:31 pm
by LoGiCaL__
There's always the option to dual boot. You can have both windows and linux on the same pc. As far as speed of the laptop is concerned, I would look more into the hardware than the OS you are going to be running on it.

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:18 pm
by mShred
knownerror wrote:Do you plan on gaming? If so Windows is the better option.

Yeah not really. A lot of people have linux boxes for their gaming rigs.
LoGiCaL__ wrote:There's always the option to dual boot. You can have both windows and linux on the same pc. As far as speed of the laptop is concerned, I would look more into the hardware than the OS you are going to be running on it.

This.
Why not explain to us what exactly you're going to use the computer for? That would help a bit.

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:08 pm
by centip3de
LoGiCaL__ wrote:There's always the option to dual boot. You can have both windows and linux on the same pc. As far as speed of the laptop is concerned, I would look more into the hardware than the OS you are going to be running on it.


True... But there's something to be said about Linux reviving a '98 DELL..

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:17 pm
by LoGiCaL__
To keep it short and simple. Windows is better for GUI, linux is a better CLI. Know both, or I should say learn both. If you get a pc that can handle windows 7, run win7 on that. If you have an old one, install linux...text mode only. That would be my advice.

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:41 am
by centip3de
LoGiCaL__ wrote:To keep it short and simple. Windows is better for GUI, linux is a better CLI. Know both, or I should say learn both. If you get a pc that can handle windows 7, run win7 on that. If you have an old one, install linux...text mode only. That would be my advice.


Oh man... I could debate what you just said, allllllllll day. But, I think I might confuse the OP, so I shall keep my arguments to myself.

Re: linux or windows

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:03 am
by LoGiCaL__
centip3de wrote:
LoGiCaL__ wrote:To keep it short and simple. Windows is better for GUI, linux is a better CLI. Know both, or I should say learn both. If you get a pc that can handle windows 7, run win7 on that. If you have an old one, install linux...text mode only. That would be my advice.


Oh man... I could debate what you just said, allllllllll day. But, I think I might confuse the OP, so I shall keep my arguments to myself.


Well, the OP was looking for reasons to pick one or the other. So, as long as the debate goes along that track, I don't see why it would confuse the OP. Anyways, I'll explain my reasoning. I use win7 on the best pc I have, hardware wise. While I do some development on Windows, I find Linux to be better suited for it. Personally, I don't find a need at all to have a gui in linux(Debian 6), which is why I recommended text-mode only(if your using it for the first time you may not want that). I have a dev server I use and just ssh into it from my windows machine.

Windows I've always used. Linux I've used for the past few years but no where near as long as windows. I do find terminal to be more useful than windows command line and powershell.

To the OP. Try both, boot a live cd of ubuntu before installing it and see if you'll even like it in the first place.