I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?

Post by Ragna_RocK on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:46 am
([msg=86847]see I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?[/msg])

Hello,

I have no deep knowledge about computers so the answer to this problem may be an easy one. That being said, I didn't want to post a silly question, so everytime that I find a problem, I just look it up on Startpage/forums. You have already helped me several times this way, although I haven't found a solution to this one, so:

I run Windows Vista. I practise with a Kali live CD but I wanted to have a persistent kali USB. So, as long as the tutorials on the internet that I have found say, there were two methods: The easiest one for me was to boot with my liveCD and instead of choosing "Kali live CD", I chosed "Graphical Install". I did everything as asked and after the installation I had my 32gb usb ready with my persistent Kali... Or so I thought. When I try to boot my Netbook (an old Dell 910 mini with Windows XP) it appears a black screen with a command line prompt. And that's it.

I mean it. I have found other posts of people who have got a similar problem, but they can type, or they see things written before the command line prompt, or they see an X in the middle of the screen or they see a blinking cursor... None of these is my case. I see a command line prompt in a black screen, and I am unable of typing anything on it.

I have cleaned the USB and installed the OS a second time. The problem appears again and the ISO was downloaded from the official kali site so I don't know what to do.

If this problem was solved before, I apologize for asking, although I have been looking for it thoroughly, I assure you.

I would love to know the solution, but I am posting/reading here to learn, so I am also (maybe more) concerned about knowing why this happens. If you need extra info, feel free to ask.

Thank you for your time reading this!
Ragna_RocK
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?

Post by ghost107 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:32 am
([msg=86850]see Re: I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?[/msg])

According to Dell official site your laptop has 512MB or 1G RAM
Dell Site wrote:Memory
Capacities 512 MB, and 1 GB
Memory type 533/667/800 MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM
Memory configuration possible 512 MB, 1 GB

Processor
Type Intel® Atom™ N270
L2 cache 512 KB
External bus frequency 533 MHz

According to Intel your CPU does not have x64 support, you didn't mention what version of OS you installed.
Intel® Atom™ Processor N270 (512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) wrote:Instruction Set = 32-bit
Intel® 64 = No

http://ark.intel.com/products/36331/Int ... 33-MHz-FSB

Kali Linux Installation Requirements wrote:Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First, you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, although better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

Installation Prerequisites
A minimum of 10 GB disk space for the Kali Linux install.
For i386 and amd64 architectures, a minimum of 512MB RAM.
CD-DVD Drive / USB boot support

http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali- ... ersistence

Now on your problem:
Or so I thought. When I try to boot my Netbook (an old Dell 910 mini with Windows XP) it appears a black screen with a command line prompt. And that's it.

Question, you tried to install from your notebook? and now you can't start your notebook.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by Ragna_RocK on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:31 am
([msg=86851]see Re: I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?[/msg])

ghost107 wrote:According to Dell official site your laptop has 512MB or 1G RAM
Dell Site wrote:Memory
Capacities 512 MB, and 1 GB
Memory type 533/667/800 MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM
Memory configuration possible 512 MB, 1 GB

Processor
Type Intel® Atom™ N270
L2 cache 512 KB
External bus frequency 533 MHz

According to Intel your CPU does not have x64 support, you didn't mention what version of OS you installed.
Intel® Atom™ Processor N270 (512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) wrote:Instruction Set = 32-bit
Intel® 64 = No

http://ark.intel.com/products/36331/Int ... 33-MHz-FSB

Kali Linux Installation Requirements wrote:Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First, you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, although better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

Installation Prerequisites
A minimum of 10 GB disk space for the Kali Linux install.
For i386 and amd64 architectures, a minimum of 512MB RAM.
CD-DVD Drive / USB boot support

http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali- ... ersistence

Now on your problem:
Or so I thought. When I try to boot my Netbook (an old Dell 910 mini with Windows XP) it appears a black screen with a command line prompt. And that's it.

Question, you tried to install from your notebook? and now you can't start your notebook.

Woah, that was quick! Thank you!

I didn't know what information was relevant and what wasn't, so I tried to give as much information without making the post long(er):

The OS I installed was Kali 32x. I burnt a LiveCD from my computer (an i5 with Windows Vista) and booted. Then the liveCD kicked in and I installed it on the 32gb USB. From my main PC, the i5. Then when I tried to boot my netbook from the now persistent kali 32x USB, there was the black screen. I thought the PC change could be worth mentioning because my netbook's OS is Windows XP and not Vista, but I don't think that it is just the netbook's fault as I can't boot from the USB with my main PC also.

Long story short, when I try to boot any of my PCs with that USB, the black screen appears.

I am going to try and evade the problem by installing it in some other way, so I have not given up yet, but I am really curious as of why is this happening.
Ragna_RocK
New User
New User

Post by ghost107 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:58 am
([msg=86853]see Re: I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?[/msg])

So this rules out the wrong version of OS and installing the wrong way.

Did you format your drive to Ext3 or Ext4 partition, set the root mount point to "/" on your drive and changed to install the bootloader to your drive.

If it is the wrong partition type, the PC will not boot linux distribution.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by Ragna_RocK on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:31 am
([msg=86858]see Re: I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?[/msg])

ghost107 wrote:So this rules out the wrong version of OS and installing the wrong way.

Did you format your drive to Ext3 or Ext4 partition, set the root mount point to "/" on your drive and changed to install the bootloader to your drive.

If it is the wrong partition type, the PC will not boot linux distribution.

... Well, you caught me there...

I honestly don't know. The graphic installation was very straightforward and I am not sure of what some of the options actually meant. I believe that must be the problem then, because both times I did (almost) the same installation on the usb (the first time I encrypted it for fun, the second one I didn't just in case that were causing the trouble)

I just came from work, I am going to clean the usb partition again, format it and try with the tutorial uploaded in the kali webpage. If it works this time I will assume that you are right!

I'll be back in a couple of hours. Thank you!
Ragna_RocK
New User
New User

Post by tripbeam on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:51 pm
([msg=86863]see Re: I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?[/msg])

Edit: Didn't read further down.

1 Make the file system on the USB ext4
2 put the iso image onto the usb
3 make necasary steps to make the live usb persistent
4 change settings in bios to boot from usb

Links for the process
Putting kali onto usb: http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install

I recomend installing linux as a whole, or dual boot. It will make your life more simple and you will learn linux as you'll be using it on a day to day bases. I wouldn't do it on your main machine, atleast until you know the benifits of linux over windows. For example all we need to do in linux (mostly) for writing a file for example an OS to a usb we would do

Code: Select all
dd if=/home/USER/Downloads/ISO IMAGE of=/dev/BLOCK DEVICE

But windows has its own convienences. For the usb i don't know how to make a file system ext4 in windows nor do i know how to make it persistent.
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:27 pm
([msg=86867]see Re: I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?[/msg])

My experience with Kali and netbooks is that live is probably not the way to go. It does not run live Kali very well and crashes if I update anything, even with 1 GB RAM. Now, my advice would be to run a full install, as suggested by tripbeam. You could install Kali as main or dual boot, but whatever you do, don't run it live with your specifications. Even if you get it to work now, chances are that newer versions of Kali have increased requirements, meaning you're left behind again. To make sure Linux works the way it should, you could get Damn Small Linux instead and try out if whatever you wanted can be done. If DSL boots from USB, I'd guess the RAM is the problem. If it doesn't, your method of install might be wrong, the boot flag might not be set, the BIOS doesn't work the way it should, the partition is wrong or your ISO might be corrupted during download (check the hashes). Anything more specific than blank screen with cursor might help ;)
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Ragna_RocK on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:20 am
([msg=86889]see Re: I am unable to start my OS. Could you tell me why?[/msg])

All of you are being very kind. Thank you!

First of all I believe ghost107 was right. I followed the official tutorial for making a Kali live USB with persistence and everything works fine now (well, except for the persistence, but that must be because I typed something wrong, I am sure of it.)

As tripbeam aready explained the steps and even provided the right link there is no use with me repeating it, he is right. The problem comes when I (and a couple more people, as a google search would tell) install the iso from a Windows OS using Win32 Disk Imager. This program states that the Kali iso is for read only, thus it won't install it. The way I got around that, just in case anybody has the same issue, was doing it with another program. I used USBWriter and it worked fine with me.

After this I followed this tutorial for persistence ( http://ivanbayan.com/index.php/2013/03/ ... partition/ ) which looks easy enough, and my "persistence" primary partition is well done. But I probably screwed up at the later steps so I will try again later before assuming anything else.

cyberdrain wrote:My experience with Kali and netbooks is that live is probably not the way to go. It does not run live Kali very well and crashes if I update anything, even with 1 GB RAM. Now, my advice would be to run a full install, as suggested by tripbeam. You could install Kali as main or dual boot, but whatever you do, don't run it live with your specifications. Even if you get it to work now, chances are that newer versions of Kali have increased requirements, meaning you're left behind again. To make sure Linux works the way it should, you could get Damn Small Linux instead and try out if whatever you wanted can be done. If DSL boots from USB, I'd guess the RAM is the problem. If it doesn't, your method of install might be wrong, the boot flag might not be set, the BIOS doesn't work the way it should, the partition is wrong or your ISO might be corrupted during download (check the hashes). Anything more specific than blank screen with cursor might help ;)

I didn't know this, but now that you say it, it makes sense. I went for the Kali Live USB with persistence because I travel a lot and I thought I could just carry my USB and be ready to stick it in any computer and start practising.When I am out I sometimes carry the netbook so it would be the main computer used, but at home I wouldn't use the netbook. I wanted to make it persistent so I could install programs and stuff, and not having to "start again" everytime I booted from the USB as with a Live USB. Would this be a good setup or should I use a different approach?

Oh, and sorry for taking so long to answer! As for now I am left with a Live Kali USB (I will try to fix the persistence settings again later) I got carried away and started playing with it. I toyed around with airmon-ng and cracked my wifi password with a wordlist, so I forgot about coming back here to post... :D

Anyways, I hope this (long) summary of my newbie adventures can help someone in the future. It was quite fun. Again, I want to thank all of you for your kindness. You are a wonderful community, if I had known better, I would have posted earlier!
Ragna_RocK
New User
New User

Return to Operating Systems