brute a username???

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

brute a username???

Post by origamiguy on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:38 pm
([msg=60973]see brute a username???[/msg])

So... my dad got a linksys router for the house a while back. lately we have been getting "disconnected" or "timed out" or "sever connection refused". i read that changing the signal in the router could help. unfortunately my dad forgot the username. I still remember the password but i still cant get in.

so here is the question: is there a way to brute force the username instead of the password on my router? if not then that is fine but i would be greatfull for any help. thanks to all that respond.
origamiguy
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: brute a username???

Post by mShred on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:23 pm
([msg=60978]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

The default is admin. But if you've truly forgotten, there is a hard reset button on the back of the router itself. You'll probably need some small pin to push it, but there you go.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:02 pm
([msg=60987]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

origamiguy wrote:So... my dad got a linksys router for the house a while back. lately we have been getting "disconnected" or "timed out" or "sever connection refused". i read that changing the signal in the router could help. unfortunately my dad forgot the username. I still remember the password but i still cant get in.

so here is the question: is there a way to brute force the username instead of the password on my router? if not then that is fine but i would be greatfull for any help. thanks to all that respond.

Yes, it is possible to brute force a username. The question is why would you do it? There's a plethora of other options out there! Just do what mShred said, and do a hard reset.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by origamiguy on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:40 am
([msg=60993]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

I had already looked up default username/passwords for my router but still can't get in. also i have reset the router many times hoping that it will fix it but the problem is still there. intermittent but still there none the less. the reason i want to brute force the username like i said is because i want to get in and be able to change the settings to see if i can fix the problem that way.

any other suggestion or maybe even software suggestions? can it be done with hydra http crack? thanks again
origamiguy
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:29 pm
([msg=61000]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

You're doing the hard reset wrong if it isn't resetting the admin username. I have a linksys router, and I can assure you that all you need to do is a reset.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:09 pm
([msg=61004]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

In order for the reset to work, you should use a pin or pen and press the button in the back and hold it for 30 seconds. You will see the lights in the front blink. This is how you know it worked. After that if it's a linksys the default user name should be Administrator and the password should be admin.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by mShred on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:15 pm
([msg=61005]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:In order for the reset to work, you should use a pin or pen and press the button in the back and hold it for 30 seconds. You will see the lights in the front blink. This is how you know it worked. After that if it's a linksys the default user name should be Administrator and the password should be admin.

My router is just admin admin. But i guess it probably just depends.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 pm
([msg=61007]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

My router is just admin admin. But i guess it probably just depends.

My old one used to have those credentials. The new one i have I used that for about 15 minutes and couldn't log in only to figure out it was Adminstrator admin. Who knows? Probably model specific. But the reset should definitely work. Strange that it didn't.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by origamiguy on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:11 pm
([msg=61011]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

haha ummm... yeah i didn't hold for 30 sec. that is why the username didn't reset. lol ok well i will try again.

thanks for the help guys...

i was also wondering how http brute force programs are actually able to process though the login scripts so fast or how they know which field to enter. i am still new to most kind of attacks that are out there.

also similar to this site and insecure.org, are there other good sites that provide lists or good software that you could point out. i want to eventually write my own security programs(haven't figured out what kind specifically yet). trying my best to learn what i can when i can. thanks to all that respond,later
origamiguy
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:12 pm
([msg=61013]see Re: brute a username???[/msg])

origamiguy wrote:haha ummm... yeah i didn't hold for 30 sec. that is why the username didn't reset. lol ok well i will try again.

thanks for the help guys...

i was also wondering how http brute force programs are actually able to process though the login scripts so fast or how they know which field to enter. i am still new to most kind of attacks that are out there.

also similar to this site and insecure.org, are there other good sites that provide lists or good software that you could point out. i want to eventually write my own security programs(haven't figured out what kind specifically yet). trying my best to learn what i can when i can. thanks to all that respond,later

Well, generally a text box has it's own name (i.e. "password", or "pw"), by specifying which form you want to enter, it'll find it and enter all the information there. All of this can be seen by viewing the source of any login page.

Wat. Login scripts? Brute forcers try every possible letter (upper and lowercase), number, and symbol combination possible. There is _no_ processing of login scripts...

On a side note, you don't have to say 'http brute force programs', you could just say a 'brute forcer'.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Networking