help, new to networking

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

help, new to networking

Post by leonardwickerball on Mon May 16, 2011 11:10 pm
([msg=57478]see help, new to networking[/msg])

hi i'm new to networking, i am a total n00b and only have some basic understanding of it, i started reading ""Computer Networks" by tanenbaum, problem it that there are sometimes complicated issues related to other field which are not explained, like fourier analysis, and c code, as i said i am total n00b and i don't really know too much about this,
question is is there a book that indroduces to this concepts?
leonardwickerball
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: help, new to networking

Post by acevic on Tue May 17, 2011 2:36 am
([msg=57482]see Re: help, new to networking[/msg])

leonardwickerball wrote:hi i'm new to networking, i am a total n00b and only have some basic understanding of it, i started reading ""Computer Networks" by tanenbaum, problem it that there are sometimes complicated issues related to other field which are not explained, like fourier analysis, and c code, as i said i am total n00b and i don't really know too much about this,
question is is there a book that indroduces to this concepts?

A fourier analysis is not for a newbie. Did you try searching it on the web? This link is your starting point. The web has an abundance of networking tutorials. Start with looking up how networks work and TCP/IP for beginners. Learn to use the appropriate keywords. Joining this forum calls for a little bit of self initiative and you should not expect to be spoon fed with it.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by Gatito on Tue May 17, 2011 9:40 am
([msg=57487]see Re: help, new to networking[/msg])

I've read that book, it teaches some nice stuff, good for an introduction to some fundamentals for networks.

The Fourier analysis is at the chapter for the physical layer which doesn't know about 1 and 0 but only cares about electrical values. Unless you have some knowledge in signal processing you'll have a hard time understanding why T1 is 1.544 Mbit/s. If you have a strong mathematical background you could learn what you need on the web or ask someone who knows, you should learn about:
Fourier Analysis/Transform, Sampling & Quantization.

About the C code, if you don't have programmed before in C, skip it. It's not mandatory to understand, from a theoretical perspective at least, networking and how programs communicate. And if you really wanted to learn to make programs which are able to communicate over networks you should pick some other resource as this book isn't suited for this purpose.

To the very least you should know how computers work with data in bits & Bytes.
Gatito
Poster
Poster

Post by Dwere134 on Tue May 17, 2011 3:30 pm
([msg=57493]see Re: help, new to networking[/msg])

I only skimmed other responses, but I didn't see anything in reference to the OSI Model
Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere134
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Gatito on Tue May 17, 2011 4:40 pm
([msg=57497]see Re: help, new to networking[/msg])

Dwere134 wrote:I only skimmed other responses, but I didn't see anything in reference to the OSI Model

The whole book is a reference to the OSI Model actually. Every chapter deals with a layer of it.
Gatito
Poster
Poster

Post by Dwere134 on Tue May 17, 2011 5:13 pm
([msg=57501]see Re: help, new to networking[/msg])

Gatito wrote:
Dwere134 wrote:I only skimmed other responses, but I didn't see anything in reference to the OSI Model
The whole book is a reference to the OSI Model actually. Every chapter deals with a layer of it.

At any rate, googling may help him understand more about the basics so that the complexities of the book are more clear.
Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere134
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by leonardwickerball on Wed May 18, 2011 9:16 pm
([msg=57536]see Re: help, new to networking[/msg])

so then, do i really need to undesrtand signal processing to undesrtand networks?
leonardwickerball
New User
New User

Post by Gatito on Thu May 19, 2011 10:58 am
([msg=57559]see Re: help, new to networking[/msg])

leonardwickerball wrote:so then, do i really need to undesrtand signal processing to undesrtand networks?

No, you'll need to understand a lot of other topics too, it depends on how much you want to understand networking, really. Signal processing is essential to telecommunication but I digress. You could learn a LOT about networks even without knowing anything about signal processing.
Gatito
Poster
Poster

Post by JoeJoe347 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:19 pm
([msg=59606]see Re: help, new to networking[/msg])

You may want to leave the book on the OSI model and read about some of the internet services that are not a part of the OSI mode. For example, DNS is an important part of understanding the internet and DNS is not within a layer of the OSI model. That is because DNS has its own protocol.
JoeJoe347
New User
New User

Return to Networking