A few questions about setting up a TOR relay

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

A few questions about setting up a TOR relay

Post by Ch13f-RuNN1n6-Sc4r3d on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 am
([msg=54598]see A few questions about setting up a TOR relay[/msg])

Those of you who are avid users of TOR have probably noticed that privoxy is no longer considered part of the standard "package". That's great as far as resource usage is concerned, but it's unfortunately killed the junkbuster effect. Which has led to a lot more of some previously clipped garbage making it through nodes, such as adservers and webbugs. Both of which are pretty much enemies to anonymity. Now, I'm completely new to setting up a relay, but I've done a fair amount of research on my own. Unfortunately I'm left with a few questions.

If I were to block these adservers using my hosts file, would it clip that content for users who pass through my relay? That might sound like a no-brainer at first, but I've examined a small amount of TOR traffic in the form of captured packets before, and the traffic through TOR doesn't necessarily follow a lot of the same conventions and normal web traffic. Basically, would the relay, and thus any users who may pass through it, even benefit from this? And if not, what can I do to prevent those items from passing through?

That's all. Thanks - Ch13f-RuNN1n6-Sc4r3d
Ch13f-RuNN1n6-Sc4r3d
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Networking