How do I get rid of a RAT?

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?

Post by Goatboy on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:58 pm
([msg=44170]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

He doesn't need anything important for it to be fun.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by warnock on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:26 pm
([msg=44172]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

I was trying to spare everyone the long boring details of this story by simply asking about general RAT removal/avoidance.

scoon1329 wrote: seems you've got bigger problems than a RAT.

Honestly, with all the facepalms flying around in this thread, you wouldn't believe me even if I told you, lol.

I appreciate those of you who took the time to read my question anyways.
I wasn't trying to sound like an idiot. But if I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't have needed to ask for help.
warnock
New User
New User

Post by XORMeBaby on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:43 pm
([msg=44177]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

You sound too paranoid for us to take you serious. Install AVG. You will be fine.
XORMeBaby
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:25 pm
([msg=44180]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

Have you tried the basics - virus scans, etc? The rat should be gone if it was restored to "factory settings".

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by mRmasteRful on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 am
([msg=44190]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

We didnt mean to imply that your an idiot. The fp were for comic relief. But seriously why are people listening in on your conversations and breaking into your home?
mRmasteRful
Poster
Poster

Post by warnock on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 am
([msg=44199]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

@XORMeBaby: I am a little paranoid. Whoever I'm dealing with may seem like a complete amateur to this crowd, but I can admit they've outclassed me from a technological standpoint.

Right now I'm using Avast!, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware. Are these ok? Or would you still say I need AVG?

@sanddbox: I ran full scans with all of the programs above. To date they've never found anything. 1 or 2 alerts from avast while online, but never any known infections.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I did get rid of it when I restored my laptop. The big mystery for me was where my skiddie attacked from. I think I waltzed right back into the same situation somehow. If there are common attack methods beyond infected E-mails, I'd really like to know.

I'm operating under the suspicion (Read: Paranoia) that they have my MAC/IP addresses (assuming that's even relevant in this situation).

@mRmasteRful: No worries. I even had to laugh at myself, reading over the way that post came across.

Only explaining half of the story doesn't really help you guys, or me for that matter.

My skiddie is either a debt collector, or is working on behalf of a debt collector.

I've been accused of "stealing" the money I haven't payed back yet. Which I guess is how he/they justify breaking & entering, and damaging my property for the sake of "keeping tabs on me".

They can't REPO me because I've really got nothing to repossess :lol:

As you can imagine, breaking into someone's apartment, damaging their property, and threatening them over the phone are not things a debt collector can do legally.

I'm not trying to bore you guys with my life story here. It's just a very long story of who gave me the RAT, and why they would do so (to monitor me).

I would just like to know how to avoid RATs, from a group of people who would know.
warnock
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:16 pm
([msg=44207]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

Have you looked into your router's configuration yet?
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sanddbox on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:33 pm
([msg=44208]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

Knowing your IP address is useless without open ports running vulnerable services, and knowing your mac address is completely useless.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:59 pm
([msg=44230]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Knowing your IP address is useless without open ports running vulnerable services, and knowing your mac address is completely useless.

Not true. They're doing this wirelessly, in which case a MAC address and IP means a LOT to the aircrack-ng suite and Wireshark. Both can be used to spoof, follow TCP/UDP datastreams, and other shit.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by mRmasteRful on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:18 pm
([msg=44234]see Re: How do I get rid of a RAT?[/msg])

Ok so you think they are debt collectors. Question now is are they using your online information to try and steal credit card numbers to 'repay' themselves or dp they want to keep tabs on you via your soical networks so they can scare you in person. In either case they have physical access to you so I doubt they gonna go through the trouble of haxing your pc if they can break down your dorr then your legs
mRmasteRful
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Malware