tampering with clock speeds

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

tampering with clock speeds

Post by cilpolir on Tue May 25, 2010 1:56 pm
([msg=39057]see tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

Just wondering
Is it possible to write a program that is able to ,for example change the clock speed of a processor, or the speed of your cooling fan?

And if it theoretical is possible, did you ever write one?
and in what language would you write it?
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: tampering with clock speeds

Post by mrmasterful17 on Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 pm
([msg=39063]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

my ASRock motherboard came with a program that does just that. Called OC(Overclocking) Tuner. It works but twice I've tried to use it and twice I've nearly damaged my processor....
mrmasterful17
New User
New User

Post by cilpolir on Wed May 26, 2010 11:39 am
([msg=39106]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

mrmasterful17 wrote:my ASRock motherboard came with a program that does just that. Called OC(Overclocking) Tuner. It works but twice I've tried to use it and twice I've nearly damaged my processor....

I know it can damage processors etc. I'm just wondering if it is possible and thanks to your post I know it is, now I'm just wondering how the **** someone would program that( not asking for spoonfeeding, but some lecture of some sort could be nice)
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed May 26, 2010 12:55 pm
([msg=39108]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

I would think that it definitely would depend on the motherboard and processor. I doubt every mobo and processor would let that happen. Imagine if someone made a virus that would automatically overclock it. Tha could cause millions in damaged processors.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by mrmasterful17 on Wed May 26, 2010 3:59 pm
([msg=39112]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:I would think that it definitely would depend on the motherboard and processor. I doubt every mobo and processor would let that happen. Imagine if someone made a virus that would automatically overclock it. Tha could cause millions in damaged processors.

Yeah its possible but it doesnt matter which processor is on this motherboard you could overclock with whatever (processor), I tried to speed up an emulator because I lacked a proper Video Card. When it maxed out the whole pc freezed then the monitor acted erratic so I had to cut the power supply in case the processor got damaged. Its not worth it if you ask me and if someone did write a custom script to do this it could do some serious damage but Im sure the manufacturers are aware of this and take precautions against it.
mrmasterful17
New User
New User

Post by Candle on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 am
([msg=40539]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

Also mobos and cpus will shut off if either temperatures or voltages reach dangerous levels.
Candle
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:43 pm
([msg=40815]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

That doesn't stop them from possibly being damaged though.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:52 pm
([msg=40831]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

To be honest I have absolutely no clue how you'd do this. I'm guessing it might be possible with some fairly low level programming. I doubt anything like this would work at an O/S level though. Most likely, you'd have to write something that edits the bootloader so that it executes your clock speed tampering code before it moves onto the O/S and all the tons of extra protection that would no doubt provide.

I certainly think it depends on motherboards and BIOS as well. I can't imagine there wouldn't be some kind of protection past the standard temprature and possibly voltage ones (which I've never heard of, but I'll take Candles word for it).
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by cilpolir on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:54 am
([msg=40852]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:To be honest I have absolutely no clue how you'd do this. I'm guessing it might be possible with some fairly low level programming. I doubt anything like this would work at an O/S level though. Most likely, you'd have to write something that edits the bootloader so that it executes your clock speed tampering code before it moves onto the O/S and all the tons of extra protection that would no doubt provide.

I certainly think it depends on motherboards and BIOS as well. I can't imagine there wouldn't be some kind of protection past the standard temprature and possibly voltage ones (which I've never heard of, but I'll take Candles word for it).

Thx insomaniacal, your the first one that actually answered my question :P But from your answer I can see its way over my head at this moment. thx anyway
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:55 am
([msg=40857]see Re: tampering with clock speeds[/msg])

No problem. I'm not 100% sure of the validity of my claim of extra O/S protection, but I'm assuming most modern Operating Systems wouldn't allow such direct access to the processor.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Return to Malware