Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..

Post by Draymire on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:01 pm
([msg=32999]see Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

What are some good resources for learning about some of the different viruses and etc that have been floating around the internet. Information such as how it works, why it works and what it does would be great.

I have googled around and not found very much and was hoping for something with more variety of viruses, etc. than a anti-virus website, if there is any.
Baba Ram Dass "The quieter you become, the more you can hear"
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..

Post by faazshift on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:13 pm
([msg=33001]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chupacabras12 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm
([msg=33003]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

you dont specify exactly what you want.
if you just want a list of known viruses and what they do, you can check for example antivirus software companies websites or just use google...
If you want to know how they work, you can find the theory behind them in wikipedia for example. But advanced details or source codes are really hard to find, because it is difficult to give a legitimate reason to look into viruses or trojans. Often in tech or programming related forums, if you ask about viruses, you are told to GTFO.
chupacabras12
New User
New User

Post by Draymire on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:51 pm
([msg=33011]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

I am looking for stuff that would help me give a realistic use for them in a game i am programming for school. The teacher suggested that instead of using actually weapons i should use stuff like viruses, trojans, and worms as weapon replacements, kinda like spells or something as my game takes place on the internet.

The idea behind the game is instead of you being the hero you are a it worker that is a bit ticked about being fired from a company so you are adventuring through a virtual world via the internet to try and destroy the company, but i have some ideas to twist it so that you don't play it and go i should go hack someone, instead i am hoping you will go maybe i should try and prevent people like this.

@faazshift
ya i had noticed that wikipedia doesn't have complete lists earlier but i didn't see those lists, they should be helpful.
I guess some resources are better than no resources. lol
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 pm
([msg=33029]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

If it's for a game the viruses don't need to be realistic at all. You could just tell the end user that 'This and This' happened.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Draymire on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:50 pm
([msg=33032]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

i know i just wanted to get things as close as possible so i don't get stupid feed back saying thats not how that virus works.
but i guess i could make up some from the information i get from my research.
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 pm
([msg=33033]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

What exactly do you mean by 'as close as possible'?

Is there a box that will pop up and say "You read an evil email and ran the .exe file contained. Your desktop background has been replaced by a giant phallus and a RAT has been embedded in your computer. You no longer have control over you character"?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by ShadowSniper0819 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:47 am
([msg=33035]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

Obviously, he's attempting to learn about viruses/worms/Trojans/Keyloggers, but HTS does not condone Illegal activity. It may be a roundabout way to get the information he wants in a way that does not violate the legal disclaimer. He just didn't think it out that well.

Okay kid, here's something you need to know about viruses... There ARE places on the internet to find source code and even DOWNLOAD viruses to inspect, but these sites go down almost as quickly as they go up.
The thing about viruses is that they are not just like a regular program. You don't tell it "Go here, delete that, then print a mean message"...

Viruses are some of the most complex and intricate programs written. The key aspect is that the majority of work put into them is in developing the AI (artificial intelligence) coding within it. A virus RUNS ITSELF on an infected host machine. It searches for logs of it's presence and deletes them. It attempts to infiltrate and take control of any programs that detect its presence and would seek to eliminate it. It opens backdoors into the computer that the hacker can use (assuming that it's a Trojan or worm). It can shoot an email to the hacker that wrote it, saying "Okayyy, the computer is totally effed. By the way, here's a log of all keys pressed, which includes credit card numbers, usernames/passwords, etc."...

You don't just "research" viruses...you have to understand the subtle programming behind them to get how they work. Hell, I'd venture to say they're almost as complicated as women ;)
ShadowSniper0819
New User
New User

Post by Draymire on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:12 pm
([msg=33071]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

ShadowSniper0819 wrote:Obviously, he's attempting to learn about viruses/worms/Trojans/Keyloggers, but HTS does not condone Illegal activity. It may be a roundabout way to get the information he wants in a way that does not violate the legal disclaimer. He just didn't think it out that well.

No i actually am making a game. My teacher didn't like the idea of actually weapons and suggest computer related stuff so i am looking for some viruses,trojans, and worms that i could reference for use as something like spells for my character.

ShadowSniper0819 wrote:There ARE places on the internet to find source code
and even DOWNLOAD viruses to inspect,

I don't want to make any viruses and don't plan on looking at the source code

ShadowSniper0819 wrote:A virus RUNS ITSELF on an infected host machine

I know what a virus is and how it works i was looking for something like what each specific virus did so i could reference it

sanddbox wrote:Is there a box that will pop up and say "You read an evil email and ran the .exe file contained. Your desktop background
has been replaced by a giant phallus and a RAT has been embedded in your computer. You no longer have control over you character"?

It would be more like turn based combat, you use the different viruses, etc, to attack your enemy with different results, like a rat would allow control over the enemy for a few turns based on the strength of there virus protection stat. Or a worm that that deletes chucks of the hard drive(health) and it sticks around for a few turns again based on the virus protection stat.

However instead of referencing actual viruses if you guys can make up names for viruses that would be awesome.
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:05 pm
([msg=33087]see Re: Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc..[/msg])

I really don't think it matters if he's trying to learn about how viruses work. Since when has it been an illegal activity to talk about the theory behind them, and why they work? Even linking to sites that have source-code of viruses isn't against the law. It only becomes illegal if he tried to use it against someone's computer.

That being said, there's a huge amount viruses, and the Wikipedia list should be good enough.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Malware