Help Virus!

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

Help Virus!

Post by UNSC_AI8085 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:04 am
([msg=32975]see Help Virus![/msg])

:(

I was browsing the Internet can i came across this site ( see below)

I was researching how to hide the link to lmgtfy
The site is listed as green by macfee site adivesor and i am using FF, it think its an educational site ie low chance of viruses, i click the site i see this thing about security and something about loading, then suddenly the browser minimizes and this pop up comes up saying your security system is vulnerable to viruses and malware and i should scan it, there is an OK button. I think pop up was done by JS ( i wouldn't know this without HTS) so i use task manager to close FF down. I am currently running a COMMODO Aniti Virus and am going to use ESET online scanner as well

What do u guys think do u rekon the website gave me a virus. At the same time i was logged into facebook, on chrome
( another browser) i allways use FF for HTS and CS reshearch and chrome for FB and email ect

What do you guys think do u rekon i got the virus?
Is it possible for it to steal my session cookies from chrome, do i need to change my passwords?

Do not go to this link this is the page where i think i got the virus from, this is for refference if any of u guys are really pro and brave
ttp://rau1.com/cwo.php?page=lmgtfy
rau1.com/cwo.php?page=lmgtfy

Update, i was trying to lock down some files using my Program control of COMODO, what happens it CRASHES the firewall
*Sigh Damit COMMODO, Internet security suits arn't ment to crash

anyway my firewall was momentarally shut down... do you think anything could have happened?

Update

I just checked the logs of the firewall, nothing showed up... does this indicate the virus if it is in my PC is not trying to steal my passwords/ personal info from my computer? i mean it should have tried to return a message ? The fire wall was down for approximately 2-3 seconds....
UNSC_AI8085
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help Virus!

Post by faazshift on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:55 am
([msg=32980]see Re: Help Virus![/msg])

Unless you were previously infected, it doesn't sound like you have a virus. Unless you intentionally make your system all sorts of vulnerable, you only get viruses by downloading and running an infected program. If your virus scanner isn't detecting something you should be ok.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sandsphinx on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:38 am
([msg=32982]see Re: Help Virus![/msg])

I'm pretty certain that if you clicked OK on that pop up then maybe you would have recieved a program and downloaded it that may have been a virus. But seen as you never and you closed Firefox then I really do not think you have recieved a virus. As far as your firewall shutting down, sometimes firewalls shut down to recieve some packets or to send some packets. This is mostly done when you play online games. It shouldn't happen, and only some programs do this, but they are out there... :D
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Post by cilpolir on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 pm
([msg=32987]see Re: Help Virus![/msg])

sandsphinx wrote:I'm pretty certain that if you clicked OK on that pop up then maybe you would have recieved a program and downloaded it that may have been a virus. But seen as you never and you closed Firefox then I really do not think you have recieved a virus. As far as your firewall shutting down, sometimes firewalls shut down to recieve some packets or to send some packets. This is mostly done when you play online games. It shouldn't happen, and only some programs do this, but they are out there... :D

It shouldn't indeed, but I have kinda a problem with the opposite, sometimes my firewall(zonealarm for who minds) just doesn't let anything trough, nothing at all, no websites, no games etc. Don't know why it does that, sometimes it's after 10 minutes and sometimes not at al (for +- 10 hours), anyone know a solution?
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by UNSC_AI8085 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:34 pm
([msg=33005]see Re: Help Virus![/msg])

sweat thx guys, i just finished a scan from the eset online scanner, found nothing... few safe :D
UNSC_AI8085
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:50 pm
([msg=33009]see Re: Help Virus![/msg])

Those sites are normally just gimmicks and scams designed (usually poorly) to get you to download a bogus AV program that'll tell you that you're infected. They'll charge you for the program, then magically "remove" the viruses that weren't there in the first place.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by sanddbox on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:53 pm
([msg=33012]see Re: Help Virus![/msg])

I've seen that popup before. Whether you hit 'ok' or 'cancel', it will redirect you to their bogus site.

They actually have a pretty realistic scanning animation, but it's totally ruined when it says 'credit cards being stolen!".

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by sandsphinx on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 pm
([msg=33019]see Re: Help Virus![/msg])

sanddbox wrote:I've seen that popup before. Whether you hit 'ok' or 'cancel', it will redirect you to their bogus site.

They actually have a pretty realistic scanning animation, but it's totally ruined when it says 'credit cards being stolen!".

rofl. Doesn't beat the old "Deleting critical files now..."
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 pm
([msg=33024]see Re: Help Virus![/msg])

Hahaha, there's a few really good prank virus sites that have fun programs like that.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Return to Malware