Dual Boot Ubuntu

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Dual Boot Ubuntu

Post by Sharmz on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:21 pm
([msg=11531]see Dual Boot Ubuntu[/msg])

I am going to Dual boot Ubuntu soon with Vista. I have tried out the Live CD and like Ubuntu very much. The only concern I have is if my laptop will be able to function well with Ubuntu on it because its not very good.

Dell Inspiron 1300
0.99 Gb ram (1015 MB)
Intel Celeron 1.6 ghz processor
70 GB harddrive
Intel 915 Gm/GMS/910 GML Express Chipset Family (Terrible video card!! the worst thing ever:()
Vista Home Premium

What I need on windows is Adobe Photoshop and MS Office and other small software that shouldn't use up too much space eg Firefox, WinRar, Anti-Virus.
Should I buy a new computer or Dual Boot on this one?
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one."
-Bill Gates
Sharmz
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:38 pm
([msg=11537]see Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu[/msg])

You can if you want but I strongly suggest backing up your whole Windows partition before continuing...

Some laptops do not work well on a dual boot and it has been known to have to reformat and install Ubuntu first for some reason. That's why I say back it up first. And by "shouldn't use up too much space" do you mean HardDrive or Ram? Because you wouldn't run both WIndows AND Ubuntu at the same time... Also if the latest version of Ubuntu doesn't run well on your laptop try an older version. Requires less memory and shiznit.

Hope that helps.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Ajax478 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:56 pm
([msg=21591]see Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu[/msg])

Fashizzlepop is right when he says back up your hard drive BACK IT UP! There is a program you can use called KGB archiver to compress your hard drive. This program can compress 1 GB to 1MB! Though its very powerful its takes up most if not all of your CPU so do it overnight when your not using any other programs to slow down the compression process.

http://kgbarchiver.net/

Here is a list of specs for the Ubuntu system and the Xubuntu system which is for lightweight and more older computers which might be your second best choice if Ubuntu fails.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Hope that helps
There are 10 kinds of people in this world:

People who understand binary
People who don't
Ajax478
New User
New User

Post by eddyj on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:04 pm
([msg=21701]see Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu[/msg])

Right, my brother recently tried this and well, on thursday i will also with my new laptop arriving... Linux recognizes other disk partitions such as windows, however windows does not recognise linux. so what you need to do is change Bios's boot device to be the linux hard drive, however if it is on the same drive as windows just a different partition then linux should override. Once this is done linux should automatically ask you whenever you start up whether you'd like to use windows or linux :).
eddyj
New User
New User

Post by YayPython on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:21 pm
([msg=21723]see Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu[/msg])

Well, why would you need MS Office? OpenOffice.org comes pre-installed on Ubuntu, and that can read/write MS Office files. Also, GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is just as good as Photoshop.

Firefox is already installed, Archive Manager can handle a lot of decompressing, and there is a rar utility, an there is no need for Antivirus software on Ubuntu.

Why do you still need Vista?
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Ajax478 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:30 pm
([msg=21913]see Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu[/msg])

YayPython wrote:Why do you still need Vista?

Well there still are ALOT of programs that run on Windows that don't on Linux. Which is why I still keep my Windows. I use Flash CS4 and I know that doesn't run on Linux so that could be a huge reason for any Flash Developer to keep windows and many games sadly run only on Vista so...
There are 10 kinds of people in this world:

People who understand binary
People who don't
Ajax478
New User
New User

Post by YayPython on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:52 pm
([msg=22114]see Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu[/msg])

I used to do Flash development for the PSP. It was the main reason I stuck with XP for a while.

But doesn't Flash run under Wine?
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fiftysixer on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:26 pm
([msg=22130]see Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu[/msg])

YayPython wrote:I used to do Flash development for the PSP. It was the main reason I stuck with XP for a while.<br><br>But doesn't Flash run under Wine?

Nope, there's a Linux version:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/thankyou/?installer=Flash_Player_10_for_Linux_(.tar.gz)

However it's a lot slower than the Windows one.
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to *nix