My Recommendation for Any Complete Linux Beginner

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

My Recommendation for Any Complete Linux Beginner

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed May 11, 2016 7:02 pm
([msg=92303]see My Recommendation for Any Complete Linux Beginner[/msg])

Ok, I know this is going to sound REALLY dumb but here it goes. I have two recommendations as someone who's sort of a beginner in Linux. Even though I'm not in any way advanced, I wanted to recommend a book and a tutorial site. So, you've all heard me ask questions about the Linux Command Line book by No Starch Press. I just wanted to recommend the book to any beginner in linux. I haven't even finished the book but I learned a lot from it even though I didn't retain most of the information. I know that sounds contradictory but my point is it really exposes you to basic command line concepts and a lot of more advanced commands I feel I will probably just relearn later.

Also, I think that since CompTIA Linux+ is what Cybrary uses, that I can conclude (maybe I'm wrong), that LPIC-1 is an excellent place to start learning Linux IMO. I say that because as someone who doesn't know a lot about Linux, I feel like it helped expose me to what a basic Linux system feels like. I don't feel like an expert, but I feel qualified to decide I like Linux, even though I like networking a lot more, and that Linux is definitely work learning. The first video in the Linux+ series on Cybrary does sound boring at first because of the guy's voice, but it stops being boring once you start learning the material. The material is very interesting throughout the series, but the whole thing is also very well structured.

Anyways, that's my two cents on a book and a tutorial series I'm maybe half way through either. I'm in finals right now so I haven't had time to past couple of days to focus on this stuff, but I just wanted to let everyone know I really appreciate those two books as beginning learning sources and they have helped me a lot.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: My Recommendation for Any Complete Linux Beginner

Post by Jbraithwaite on Thu May 12, 2016 3:12 pm
([msg=92311]see Re: My Recommendation for Any Complete Linux Beginner[/msg])

In a side note, you might want to try your hand at BASH scripting. It's really addictive and can teach you a lot about linux. Write your own update script for a start. Look on Github at other scripts to see what you can do. Makes a real difference to your confidence around a shell.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by saladroll on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:53 pm
([msg=92896]see Re: My Recommendation for Any Complete Linux Beginner[/msg])

Just to add to this, Installing arch linux is a hands on way to learn linux and how things work. I've installed it several times on various things (USB, HDD, SSD, and SD card; for different PC's and a raspberry pi) and I learned a lot. Arch is a bare bones cli install, and it forces you to learn to build a linux system from the ground up. It can be frustrating, but once you figure it out, you are golden. Also, the arch documentation on the arch wiki is fantastic.

Just my two cents.
saladroll
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 pm
([msg=92961]see Re: My Recommendation for Any Complete Linux Beginner[/msg])

Arch Linux is as hard to install as Gentoo? Tried gentoo and it didn't work at all. But maybe Arch Linux is easier? Still needs to be challenging of course.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Return to *nix