Linux for a begginer?

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Linux for a begginer?

Post by KingOfBacon on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:47 pm
([msg=90911]see Linux for a begginer?[/msg])

I have made a bootable kali 8gb flash drive.
I'm hoping to add persistence...
Is this a good way to go? Or maybe another flavor?
KingOfBacon
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Linux for a begginer?

Post by e3cb on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:46 pm
([msg=90913]see Re: Linux for a begginer?[/msg])

>Beginner
>Kali

Start with Ubuntu, friend. Make it your main OS and force yourself to learn it. If you have issues, and you will have issues, the process of googling how to fix them, and fixing them yourself will make you gain competency in any *nix environment. Long story short, don't try to use a .50 cal rifle if you haven't even fired a .22 yet.
<3 FF E4 <3
Do you even asm bruh?
e3cb
Poster
Poster

Post by KingOfBacon on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:48 pm
([msg=90914]see Re: Linux for a begginer?[/msg])

e3cb wrote:>Beginner
>Kali

Start with Ubuntu, friend. Make it your main OS and force yourself to learn it. If you have issues, and you will have issues, the process of googling how to fix them, and fixing them yourself will make you gain competency in any *nix environment. Long story short, don't try to use a .50 cal rifle if you haven't even fired a .22 yet.

Thanks! Note; I already have some experiance with Ubuntu, and I'm typing this from that computer. As a begginer to hacking, what would be the best OS... Still Ubuntu? And also, how should I stay anonymous, besides fake email, etc. VPN's?

Thanks in advance,

King
KingOfBacon
New User
New User

Post by e3cb on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:04 am
([msg=90918]see Re: Linux for a begginer?[/msg])

Here's the best way to protect yourself: Don't break into services you're not authorized to! If you want to learn to be a hacker, follow the Jargon File's definition: "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary."
In layman's terms, a hacker is someone who wants to learn so much about a system or set of systems, that they can point out even the most obscure flaws in said system(s). The best way to do this is to install the services you want to learn about, on a system you own, and try to configure it the way an average user might, then try to break in to it. This way, you not only learn how to use the tools require to break in, and hopefully the theory behind how they work, but also why they work and in what circumstances they work. A good rule of thumb is, don't break in to something unless you have a plan for what you're gonna do afterwards. IDGAF if that's white/grey/black hat shit, just be sure you're breaking in for a reason, and don't look like an idiot skiddie by trying to break in to a service you don't know about with a tool/exploit you've no experience with.

tl;dr

How not to be a fuckin skid

1. Install Ubuntu/Debian on your own computer
    2. Begin learning a language, good choices are C for a programming language and python for a scripting language
    2.5 Keep learning that shit so you can eventually write your own tools
    3. Pick a particular target software/service you want to learn about and break
    4. Install said service on a box you own
    5. Configure said service the way an average user would
    6. Research existing exploits/tools that break said service
    7. When you find a good candidate, learn how the exploit/tool works and what exactly it's exploiting
    8. Use the tool to break into the service and have fun playing with post-exploitation
    9. While breaking in and during post-exploitation, check logs and see how it looks on the victim's end
    10. ????
    11. Be 31337
<3 FF E4 <3
Do you even asm bruh?
e3cb
Poster
Poster

Post by KingOfBacon on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:59 am
([msg=90923]see Re: Linux for a begginer?[/msg])

Thanks! So basically- don't use a program unless you can write it yourself. I've almost completed the basic missions and have a lot to learn. So... I'm switching my main OS from Windows to Ubuntu, which I've wanted to do for a while. And this computer uses UEFI... This may take a while.

-- Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:34 pm --

Thanks for the help! I am successfully dual-booting Win10, osx, and Ubuntu, even on a UEFI comp. Gave me a headache. So... What should I use to learn Terminal commands well, etc. Preferably free.

I'm gonna learn a bit more, and then attempt Mission 11, and redo 10.
Is Null-Byte a good resource?
KingOfBacon
New User
New User

Post by e3cb on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:18 pm
([msg=90940]see Re: Linux for a begginer?[/msg])

Glad to hear. As for learning terminal commands, just try to use your computer using terminal. Start by getting comfortable with file browsing, etc. Then move on to fun things. As for null-byte, no clue but if it works, go for it!
<3 FF E4 <3
Do you even asm bruh?
e3cb
Poster
Poster

Post by KingOfBacon on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:24 pm
([msg=90942]see Re: Linux for a begginer?[/msg])

e3cb wrote:Glad to hear. As for learning terminal commands, just try to use your computer using terminal. Start by getting comfortable with file browsing, etc. Then move on to fun things. As for null-byte, no clue but if it works, go for it!

Thanks for the help!

*realizes how awesome Terminal is....*
KingOfBacon
New User
New User

Return to *nix