Vm in linux, running linux

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Vm in linux, running linux

Post by tripbeam on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:48 pm
([msg=85503]see Vm in linux, running linux[/msg])

So i want to make a virtual machine, i have searched on the net and i have a good idea what my question is... I want to run a linux distro in virtual box and i am running linux as my main system. People say always back up your data before partitioning and some other tasks, now i don't care if my vm messes up but will it mess up if i partition or delete anything within a VM?

I used windows for my vm's before and never did it on Linux, i know virtual machines are sandboxed so i shouldn't worry about anything unless i set up the VM to use my actual hard drive.

TL;DR - Will messing around with a vm on my linux computer mess up my main OS? or is it all sandboxed?
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Vm in linux, running linux

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:45 pm
([msg=85508]see Re: Vm in linux, running linux[/msg])

tripbeam wrote:Will messing around with a vm on my linux computer mess up my main OS? or is it all sandboxed?

It shouldn't do anything to the host system. That's the whole idea of the 'virtual' part.

I could think of a few things that could go wrong, but you're more likely to have your hard disk crash before these happen depending on what you do. Keep in mind that if you do not throttle the CPU, say 99% max, you might still be vulnerable to a fork bomb (though I never tested it). I don't really see a reason why you would ever want to use an actual hard drive with your virtual machine, but you're probably right there too. And if your VM gets infected and the writer of the malware knows a vulnerability in VirtualBox, it might be able to break out of it. The chances of that happening are very very slim and honey pots also use virtualization, but it's a possibility. And of course, if you have a keylogger in your VM and use it to log into e.g. this site it will catch your keystrokes, in that way it runs as a normal machine. In the same way, be sure to know what the different option of the networking part of VirtualBox do. While it doesn't apply here, if you allow unrestricted network access to a vulnerable OS by letting it connect to your network like a normal box, it might be attacked.

If you're still unsure, there are videos on Youtube of people running 'sudo rm -rf / --no-preserve-root' on a VM. Bottom line: keep snapshots and reset them every few times and you'll be just fine.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tripbeam on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:20 pm
([msg=85511]see Re: Vm in linux, running linux[/msg])

Alright thank you for your reply, i figured it would be fine unless of course i used the vm on my hard disc in all. I'll be sure to throttle the cpu and i usually just set it to 2 cores, i'll keep reading around but you answered my question.

Thanks
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
([msg=85529]see Re: Vm in linux, running linux[/msg])

tripbeam wrote:Alright thank you for your reply, i figured it would be fine unless of course i used the vm on my hard disc in all. I'll be sure to throttle the cpu and i usually just set it to 2 cores, i'll keep reading around but you answered my question.

Thanks

Yeah, that'll work too. No problem, glad to help.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Return to *nix