Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.

Post by exconbt on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:58 pm
([msg=84135]see Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.[/msg])

I was wondering (im still a noob) How should I go about making Kali my permanent OS (with a non-root account). Or should I stick with dual boot? I dont care for dual boot its quite laggy and windows serves me no purpose except for internet browsing. I have a DVD and a USB with kali on it do i just give it a full partition?
exconbt
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.

Post by limdis on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:23 pm
([msg=84136]see Re: Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.[/msg])

You really don't want to have Kali as your main day-to-day OS. It is not designed for that. You would benefit more by switching from windows to debian instead. Why? It's linux. It's also what Kali is built off of.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:29 pm
([msg=84140]see Re: Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.[/msg])

While I agree with limdis and you probably shouldn't do it (even though that wasn't your question), if you really wanted to you could run it as your main OS. Just install Kali, disable the root account and check that you're not running services you don't want to run. As far as I know, Kali doesn't run many services by default. So yes, Debian >> Kali as main OS, but it's possible to run as main if you wanted to. I know Ninjex does. But you could also just go with Ubuntu or Mint for the time being and learn about Linux first, as Debian is a lot less noob-friendly.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by exconbt on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:20 pm
([msg=84144]see Re: Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.[/msg])

Thanks I think I will Install Ubuntu first to learn on.
exconbt
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:08 am
([msg=84149]see Re: Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.[/msg])

Yeah, I have it as a main OS on my laptop. However, I only use my laptop for hackery related shenanigans. The other times, I am running Windows 8, Arch, or Ubuntu (dedicated server). So it's really just the same as having a partition and dual booting into it.

Also, about the main OS talk, if you decide to run Kali, don't simply make a new account, change the root password first as well. Yes, I'm saying change the password instead of disabling the account. Leaving it with default password on root still, means you should go ahead and face-palm yourself.

Dual booting shouldn't be giving you lag issues, so I'm not really comprehending that. I would recommend hanging onto your Windows box, just for that fact of gaming, fiddling in it (infosec related things), and for some tools not available on *nix (Cain & Abel, etc). What you could do is go grab an external and make use of it instead of worrying about anything on your HDD/SSD, which is what I've done.
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 am
([msg=84150]see Re: Looking to finally dump windows for Kali.[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:Also, about the main OS talk, if you decide to run Kali, don't simply make a new account, change the root password first as well. Yes, I'm saying change the password instead of disabling the account. Leaving it with default password on root still, means you should go ahead and face-palm yourself.

Heh, the way I usually disable the account is removing the login shell and remove the password hash. No password means no login, which is even safer than changing the password. That said, what do you mean by disabling the account?
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Return to *nix