can som1 track me from my DNS requests?

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

can som1 track me from my DNS requests?

Post by ketan85 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:11 am
([msg=63626]see can som1 track me from my DNS requests?[/msg])

i want to know weather it is possible for someone to (theoretically) track down my ip address from the DNS requests made by my browser. i mean even if i am using a proxy server to browse can't someone trace me back based on logs on the DNS server (provided the DNS server keeps a log)?

i guess it is possible to route DNS requests to proxy (isnt it?)... but theoretically can i be traced back based on my DNS request?

i don't quite understand how DNS works... my guess is that my ISP resolves such requests.... but what happens when i set google DNS as my default DNS... i mean does my isp knows even then about my requests?
ketan85
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: can som1 track me from my DNS requests?

Post by DegreesKelvin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:39 pm
([msg=63648]see Re: can som1 track me from my DNS requests?[/msg])

I cannot make up what you are asking from your post, please use proper grammar, punctuation and capitalization and avoid using numbers instead of words and acronyms to make your requests clear.
[14:33:02] <FlutterBurp> Dear princess celestia, i finally found out what Alt + F4 Does, i lost a important document thanks to you. Yours pissed off Twilight sparkle.
DegreesKelvin
New User
New User

Re: can som1 track me from my DNS requests?

Post by proxx8187 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:25 pm
([msg=63724]see Re: can som1 track me from my DNS requests?[/msg])

Yes they can.
Fire up wireshark and you'll see why.

DNS unfortunately isnt an encrypted protocol, what that means is that anything flying over the wire can be read by someone on that wire.
As long as you send your DNS requests in plain text anyone can read it who has control over any of the hops.

Things do change when for example you pipe all your traffic through an encrypted proxy, for example a SSH tunnel should not reveal anything that it carries.
That is if the "proxy" is nice enough not to tell what is behind his back.
Everything from the proxy to any DNS server can again be seen by any of the hops, the one thing changing here is that it should be unknown as to who asked for it, as far as the DNS server or anyone else is concerned the proxy itself asked for it.

Did that answer your question?

(please correct me if I am wrong here)
proxx8187
New User
New User

Return to Networking