Help is Needed.

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Help is Needed.

Post by AlexiV1 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:04 am
([msg=53032]see Help is Needed.[/msg])

Hey HTS,
My name's Alex, I'm an admin on a RSPS forum and game, recently a friend of mine was hacked on Msn, and I'm starting to fear for my internet safety.
Currently, I do not have any anti virus software, nor is my IPadress hidden.
I would like some suggestions/ advice as to what protocols I should take to secure my internet.
Obviously, installing an antivirus software would be a good idea, but I'm more concerned over being hacked than getting a virus.
I have very little knowledge about computers, I understand basic terms such as HTML, SQL, Javascript, programming, etc.
I know this probably looks like a joke, but in all seriousness, I could use some help.
-Alex.
AlexiV1
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help is Needed.

Post by Assassian360 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:19 am
([msg=53033]see Re: Help is Needed.[/msg])

To be "hacked" your computer or your online account info would need to become compromised in some way.

Just follow simple things like:
- don't use the same password everywhere (and make the password something hard to guess)
- use an Antivirus
- don't click links that you can't be absolutely sure are safe (particularly in MSN, email, or other sources that are sent to you by other users on the internet)
- don't use IE.

Most actual protection is done through experience of knowing what is safe and what is not.
Assassian360
Poster
Poster

Re: Help is Needed.

Post by insomaniacal on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:13 pm
([msg=53048]see Re: Help is Needed.[/msg])

Assassian360 wrote:
Most actual protection is done through experience of knowing what is safe and what is not.

This.

Also, switch to a secure browser (Not IE or Safari, essentially) if you aren't using one already. Be especially weary of websites that tell you to install a codec. Unless you trust a site 100%, don't do it. 90% of these sites will be installing Trojans or other junk behind your back.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Return to Networking