cant get internet access from an open wifi AP

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

cant get internet access from an open wifi AP

Post by ashraf007 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:41 am
([msg=47509]see cant get internet access from an open wifi AP[/msg])

hi...
i have a netbook and my wifi detects an open wifi access point near my home . but when i connect i was unable to get internet access after getting connected.. it seems unsecured network.. it says"no internet access" i thought they are using mac filtering so i spoofed my mac but still got no luck.. may be they are using dhcp or something like that.. or may be radius.. im not sure about it
im using windows 7 ultimate.

so please help me out...

actually i found out its like some local ISP,s and i think they use a radius or dhcp system .. there are 3 open wifi ap .. all are isp ... i tried to use airodump-ng and got the connected clients mac address and then i spoofed them.. but i was still unable to get internet access... its became a challenge for me..
so its sure they are not from some school or university it doesnt have any custom screen for login..one more thing once before 1 week i accidently connected to this network and i was able to use internet though...why not now???? ...i can provide you any additional information about this networks if you want...

if you want live info we can use some IM my Yahoo im is: saifiashraf@yahoo.com msn is: ashrafindia@live.in
im sending a image of detected network below link

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... /image.jpg

thanks in advance
Last edited by ashraf007 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashraf007
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: cant get internet access from an open wifi AP

Post by alltheprettyhorses on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:48 am
([msg=47512]see Re: cant get internet access from an open wifi AP[/msg])

Ah yes, I had just the same issue recently.

Mine was caused because while it seemed like an open wifi spot (and even had a name along the lines of 'free wifi') it in fact belonged to a nearby university and only students could access the internet through it (by having a custom log in screen where they typed in a student number or something and even it was only obtained by installing some sort of security certificate software [sorry about how vague this sounds but really I'm not 100% sure of the logistics of it, only what i've been told by others]) yet I was in fact still able to connect to it but with the same issue as you i.e. no internet access.

Perhaps you're having the same problem? Check if its likely to be caused by any schools/buisness'/universities nearby.

Other than that do you have any additional info which my help to prescribe a more technical solution? I realise my info probably wasn't much use but it never hurts to know these things.
Last edited by alltheprettyhorses on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So this is how liberty dies; With thunderous applause..."
alltheprettyhorses
New User
New User

Post by ashraf007 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:09 am
([msg=47514]see Re: cant get internet access from an open wifi AP[/msg])

hi..thanks for reply...

actually i found out its like some local ISP,s and i think they use a radius or dhcp system .. there are 3 open wifi ap .. all are isp ... i tried to use airodump-ng and got the connected clients mac address and then i spoofed them.. but i was still unable to get internet access... its became a challenge for me..
so its sure they are not from some school or university it doesnt have any custom screen for login..one more thing once before 1 week i accidently connected to this network and i was able to use internet though...why not now???? ...i can provide you any additional information about this networks if you want...

if you want live info we can use some IM my Yahoo im is: saifiashraf@yahoo.com msn is: ashrafindia@live.in
im sending a image of detected network below link

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... /image.jpg

thanks in advance
ashraf007
New User
New User

Post by Dwere134 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
([msg=47525]see Re: cant get internet access from an open wifi AP[/msg])

Is it because of it being 802.11b instead of .11g? I don't know, just a thought... :S
Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere134
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Networking