wifi password aquirement

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

wifi password aquirement

Post by Silk-Seven on Fri May 02, 2008 9:41 pm
([msg=1954]see wifi password aquirement[/msg])

I want to know if to get a password for a secured wifi connection if you can use a regular password cracker like Cain and able or jtr or if you have to use something else like aircrafker?
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Silk-Seven
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: wifi password aquirement

Post by 3nIGhost on Sat May 03, 2008 6:35 pm
([msg=2011]see Re: wifi password aquirement[/msg])

well i guess ... no one would kno im speaking for my self ... lol but iono try it nd you'll tell me if it works lol :D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

|Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
3nIGhost
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by BP187 on Thu May 22, 2008 6:23 am
([msg=3002]see Re: wifi password aquirement[/msg])

It all depends on the type of encryption they are using, I know WEP can be cracked but not so sure about WPA. To crack WEP you would need to use Airsnort or any other WEP cracking utility. I know there are loads of applications for windows and linux too, some configuration changes will need to be carried out on your wifi card before you could go about the cracking process.

Google around and your sure to find documents/tools.
BP187
New User
New User

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Sat May 24, 2008 11:05 am
([msg=3150]see Re: wifi password aquirement[/msg])

im actually really curious about this too
i have a friend at my college that dared me to try and crack his wep key (i was tempted to bribe his room mate to let me on his comp and steal the password that way but i didnt) anyway through the research i did i can only find that the easiest way to do it is through a combination of aircrack and airsnort, however you have to have one of a set of a small list of cards that can go into "listening mode" meaning it can just capture the packets. From what i can find i dont have one of those cards and considering i didnt want to pay another $40 or so dollars for a new wireless card i gave up
is there a way to configure a wireless card to capture? or do you not have to (and a capture card would just work faster) because if the difference is say a few hours i can live with that.
ive been searching around on hts and google, but its actually a little harder to find than you might think, because there arent a whole lot of em out there, and the ones that are seem to be pretty specific to their hardware and i cant figure out if i can adapt my hardware to suit the needs or not, not to mention if a problem happens along the way they dont account for it (like they'll be like, do this than that then it will ask you to do this, hit ok and im just like "it never asked me to do that....")

so any information on the subject would be much appreciated
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by Static-Oblivion on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:32 pm
([msg=7595]see Re: wifi password aquirement[/msg])

Look first off NO you can not crack a wireless password with JTR.Aircrack is a tool used to crack wireless encryption but can only crack wep currently there is nothing available to crack wpa or wpa-tkip it would take years.Airsnort sniffs out packets in the air in the hopes it can find a useful packet for injection most of the time it would be a arp request you are looking for.once you have the corrosponding number of IV's captured to a file depending on the encryption strength 32,64,128,256 you would run aircrack as for cain and able I don't know.I use back track 2 to crack wifi passwords and it comes with a very useful program called kismet that tells me the encryption used and strength so I don't waste my time also most cards can be put into monitor mode and can inject,cards that naturally can't for example my card is a ipw3945 card and the driver cant inject there are patches available mine would be the ipwraw patch and keep in mind my card is "stock" on my laptop I did not go out and spend money remember most of the time with research you problems and questions can be solved.Hope this helped to answer some of those questions.
Static-Oblivion
New User
New User

Post by renegta0 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:02 pm
([msg=8330]see Re: wifi password aquirement[/msg])

You can crack wep using aircrack-ng and a wireless card and driver that supports packet injection. wpa with finite salts can be cracked with rainbow tables.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
renegta0
New User
New User

Post by Kasterborus on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:29 am
([msg=8816]see Re: wifi password aquirement[/msg])

Simple, make sure you have an Infinite Mana pool and from then on its simply Skill and Dexterity!

-Kasterborus
"Only two letters away from being an Asset!"
Kasterborus
New User
New User

Return to Networking