Anon VPN

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Anon VPN

Post by Jbraithwaite on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:16 am
([msg=91221]see Anon VPN[/msg])

Looking around for an ANON VPN to use. Loads to choose from and some recommend either Mullvad or TorGuard. Both similar priced. I use Unblock-us for alternate netflix regions. Looking to get shot of Unblock-US and go with someone else.

Loads of chat on the wire about US based VPN services not being safe etc. It's all a bit scary.

According to TorGuard VPN is enough for anon comms on the net. I'm not so sure.

In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Anon VPN

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:32 am
([msg=91264]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

A VPN should be used for hiding your IP, nothing more. You'll never be completely anonymous with just a VPN, but it's a start. Then again, I haven't trusted TOR in a while either and good alternatives are hard (but not impossible) to find, so a VPN might be all you can easily get. Lots of sites compare the different VPNs available. There are some that compare them on anonymity too, so look for those :)
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Jbraithwaite on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:58 am
([msg=91269]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

Thanks again. I haven't really done much about it purely because I'm still just gathering info branching off from the CEH coursework. Authentication protocols had me digressing today so I reckon no ones going to be wondering why I'm looking that up lol.

Been getting taunted a bit for doing the CEH course by my peers. Apparently I want to join in with Anon or something and be in the 'cool gang' I actually hate the title of that course. I opened my trap on WebRTC requests earlier because my colleague uses VPN at home and my boss threw down about me talking about non work stuff.

Security is defo not high up on the agenda. It's feared.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by Scar0ptics on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:33 pm
([msg=92461]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

Yes, all of the VPN services that I know of keep IP logs as well to turn information over, if requested by proper authorities. I am going to flash a router with openWRT, which is open source firmware. If I have a router with matching architecture .

I am also going to look into an Open Source VPN software as well (OpenVPN). I know the WRT software will have VPN capabilities, but I am not sure how I will set everything up as of right now. I understand that my information can still be intercepted, however it'll be encrypted and unreadable. Unless the correct information on any of my systems has been compromised (keylogger, RAT, backdoor) that would allow for data decryption.

This is a concern regarding my secure communication application. The fact that a phone could essentially be compromised while using the application or the Data-Stream Network being used to transfer the information could have a unknown zero-day attack or security breach.

I'll be researching more on this in the future: tech-phreaks.net
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by boriz666 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:07 am
([msg=92479]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

No VPN service providers are anonymous, they all keep logs for one or the other reason,
mostly they keep logs to meter your traffic, but thats logs none the less and makes it so
you are not anonymous.

But they all love to advertise "WE KEEP YOUR IDENTITY 100% HIDDEN, NO LOGS!!",
but they need the logs to meter your traffic at the very least.
boriz666
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Scar0ptics on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:45 pm
([msg=92482]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

I am thinking about setting up my own VPN service and have select people connect to it, and use it. A select few because I do not want too much overhead lol
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by Jbraithwaite on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:25 am
([msg=92490]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

To be honest. I've changed a hell of a lot since I created this post. I do bug bounties, and I'm training in Pen Testing using VM's and I'm doing OSCP so now I don't really need to have a VPN. I did flutter with the idea of keeping anon online but not now.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by Scar0ptics on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:53 am
([msg=92492]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

That does sound interesting! I am getting ready to wrap up an Android Text messaging application that allows for secure communication, but after that I am going to start an Open Source VPN project for Android and iOS.
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by dance on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:47 am
([msg=92805]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

Agree, not all VPNs are as anonymous as we hope. Some services log users' IP-addresses and other private info. Even if they assured of their anonymity, how can we check it? I think that the major part of Internet users prefers to hide IP addresses and surf the net secretly. This review confirms my words and show some statistics. So what rules we need to keep to find a proper VPN provider? First of all, do not trust a VPN that requests your credit card information. Be sure that the company does not maintain any VPN logs of any kind. Finally, feel free to contact with support teams and ask sensible questions.
dance
New User
New User

Post by Scar0ptics on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:09 pm
([msg=92807]see Re: Anon VPN[/msg])

Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Next