Anonymity with open access points

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Anonymity with open access points

Post by IDNeon on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 pm
([msg=86330]see Anonymity with open access points[/msg])

I'm trying to figure out how anonymous (quantitatively) an open access point such as a starbucks wifi or etc really is and I'm stuck.

The computer forensics book I'm reading mentions ARP but goes on to say ARP caches are only saved for 10 minutes. So now I'm confused.

If a person uses an open WIFI AP then their hardware which is given a pseudo-unique MAC address (correct?) Is given by that wifi a unique IP Address (correct?).

But without an ARP cache how does an investigator trace the IP to an actual computer to later show as evidence that such hardware was indeed likely the hardware of that access point at that time?

Is there another way to trace the IP through the access point to a specific computer that I'm missing?

I was thinking that that if you find that MAC Address(?) You can compare it to local ISPs and find a person with that address who has an Internet and thus billing account? Is that correct?

If not then what's the actual method? Am I way off and have to go back to the books so to speak?

Because right now the only thing I can conclude from the chapter is that without an ARP cache the trail is cold and the only way to then move forward is to examine security footage for clues? So if that's wrong Id like some tutoring.
IDNeon
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Anonymity with open access points

Post by cyberdrain on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:53 pm
([msg=86332]see Re: Anonymity with open access points[/msg])

I do not know much about networking, but I do know a bit. MAC addresses usually aren't random and therefore are specific to the device used to connect. That doesn't mean you can follow them always everywhere, two problems arise. As far as I know, the MAC addresses do not leave the local network. This would mean connections from open APs probably cannot be traced to a home connection/ISP. The second problem is that MAC addresses can easily be spoofed, it's built right into most if not all operating systems.

In regards to data tracking: a Wifi router saves information about which MAC address had which IP at a certain time. How much logging is usually done and how this relates to the ARP cache, I wouldn't know. As MAC addresses can be spoofed and are hard to trace and IPs are temporary and random, the best bet to actually finding someone would be identifying traffic. WallShadow had a great post about it here.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by pretentious on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:16 am
([msg=86337]see Re: Anonymity with open access points[/msg])

tried to address everything but rage quit when i realized i was a bit off base, basically:
MAC addresses don't change during normal network access but can be spoofed
I.P addresses are usually subject to change and don't mean a great deal the next day
ARP listings are designed for practical 'at the time' use due to above and wouldn't be used for historical anti forensics
For that, you would use logs that ISP's and Routers keep.

Just throwing it out there. If the whole world adopted IPv6 and removed NAT, it would be an entirely different playing field.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by IDNeon on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:11 pm
([msg=86342]see Re: Anonymity with open access points[/msg])

Agreed about IPv6...I'm going to post my findings in a new thread because apparently this anonymity rabbit hole is extremely deep and beyond the scope of the OP.
IDNeon
New User
New User

Post by danishkh56 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm
([msg=98953]see Re: Anonymity with open access points[/msg])

I would say all the things are depended only with the help internet. I have found that writing information can be only helpful if you have the internet content only.I have checked some of the writing information on the https://essayontime.com.au/childcare-assignment-help site where I got the help related to the writing purpose only.
danishkh56
New User
New User

Post by reviyo1238 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:44 am
([msg=99691]see Re: Anonymity with open access points[/msg])

I like want to more about the Who invented the internet
reviyo1238
New User
New User

Return to Networking