Mission 1 - Word Scramble [Completed]

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Mission 1 - Word Scramble [Completed]

Post by aConvolutedConscious on Sat May 20, 2017 7:19 am
([msg=93714]see Mission 1 - Word Scramble [Completed][/msg])

I just started programming again after a 16 year hiatus. I had only built a couple of programs in VB, had done some work with PHP, and a little with Javascript. So, for the last week I've been all over the web reading Javascript tutorials and such, trying to learn how the basics work. It took me at least a week to build this simple script that unscrambles words! (I'm very proud of myself at the moment!) I love that feeling when all the stars line up. You know what I mean!

I took the master list and split it up, writing it to a web page and copying it back into the script itself to set it up as an array. Then I pulled the scrambled words from the list items on the fly. I broke it down to the bare brass and then put it all back together and propagated it to the input form by running the script in ScratchPad.

*For my key list I assigned each alphanumeric character a unique key {0: a, 1: b, ... 26: 0, 27: 1, 28: 2} etc...
To get unique values for each word I took the ASCII value of each letter from the word and multiplied it by the key, then I subtracted that result from the key, and then added those values to get the total (unique) value for each word. When I compared the scrambled word values to the unscrambled ones I came up with unique matches for each word. It worked the first time! (like I said though, it took me about a week to get to that point - submitting the results was the easy part).

I was thinking I'd like to make an article regarding my methods - without giving the code up directly.

However, if you have already completed the mission and would like to exchange code, I'd love to see what you came up with!

Happy Hackin'!

This mission taught me a lot!
aConvolutedConscious
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mission 1 - Word Scramble [Completed]

Post by pretentious on Tue May 23, 2017 9:12 pm
([msg=93720]see Re: Mission 1 - Word Scramble [Completed][/msg])

Nice work bro. From memory how i solved it was by putting the letters in alphabetical order as a version of unique message digestion. So 'noap' and 'paon' became 'anop'. I probably put them in a map or something. Didn't automate the submission at all lol copied the text, ran the app and sent the results to my system clipboard and pasred within 3 seconds . Such a hack i know ;)
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by aConvolutedConscious on Thu May 25, 2017 2:46 am
([msg=93723]see Re: Mission 1 - Word Scramble [Completed][/msg])

pretentious wrote:Nice work bro. From memory how i solved it was by putting the letters in alphabetical order as a version of unique message digestion. So 'noap' and 'paon' became 'anop'. I probably put them in a map or something. Didn't automate the submission at all lol copied the text, ran the app and sent the results to my system clipboard and pasred within 3 seconds . Such a hack i know ;)

Sending the code to your clipboard...that's clever. I like that!

I just finished my script for mission 2... I might have to use that. Here goes something!
aConvolutedConscious
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Sat May 27, 2017 9:07 pm
([msg=93727]see Re: Mission 1 - Word Scramble [Completed][/msg])

aConvolutedConscious wrote:
pretentious wrote:Nice work bro. From memory how i solved it was by putting the letters in alphabetical order as a version of unique message digestion. So 'noap' and 'paon' became 'anop'. I probably put them in a map or something. Didn't automate the submission at all lol copied the text, ran the app and sent the results to my system clipboard and pasred within 3 seconds . Such a hack i know ;)

Sending the code to your clipboard...that's clever. I like that!

haha my app wasn't internet ready and I didn't want to have to deal with cookies :) In retrospect, It took me about 10 minutes to to copy the code, paste it and allow for the web connection, fast enough for HTS to accept my answer ;)
aConvolutedConscious wrote:I just finished my script for mission 2... I might have to use that. Here goes something!

Good luck :)
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Return to Programming