Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:47 pm
([msg=87811]see Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

So, as I stated earlier, I'm signed up for a programming summer class. I don't know if its Java, C++, or some other C-based language, but I think its Java. This fall, I may or may not sign up for the more advanced programming, which is Data Structures. However, if I sign up for data structures, which would be in whatever the same language is, I'd like to know what they are in detail. Also, will I be able to make my own separate project or learn another language while learning data structures. Would you recommend making an app after I'm done with this?

I'm asking because either I'll make an app or I'll learn some scripting when I'm done immediately right? But I want to be able to learn a language on my own after I'm done with the class. So, I'm wondering if once I'm done I'll be able to do Data Structures and something else at the same time. I'm not signed up for Data Structures, just for the programming class.

Any comments? What should I do after the summer class? OR, should I not sign up for data structures yet and simply learn a language on my own first.

:D

-- Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:48 pm --

I mean after the first programming class.

-- Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:52 pm --

Or, my other option for the second class is assembly and architecture.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?

Post by Iblist on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:13 am
([msg=87822]see Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

I wouldn't use Java for making an app personally, although I'm biased as hell against Java so take that with a grain of salt. If you plan on developing for IOS, learn Objective C, that's what IOS apps are all programmed in.

As for data structures; if you plan on writing software of any kind, learn data structures! Data structures are really just fancy ways of manipulating memory more efficiently. Stuff like linked lists and hash maps for instance. You can use both of these in either C, C++, Java, and probably any other language if you're creative enough. They don't really rely on syntax, just logic.

So the answer is yes. :geek:
Those who create and rely upon brilliant and complex creations are often destroyed by some idiot plugging an infected usb stick somewhere they shouldn't have.
Iblist
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by ghost107 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:52 pm
([msg=87827]see Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

And if you are wanting to make a application for Android then learn Java, I know some people are against Java, but java has its own uses, also Objective C is a language only available for IOS.

True, data structures is very important, it teaches you how to structure the data, and how to manipulate it, it is applied in many fields. There are many books that teach programming, but few books teach data structures, it is not advanced programming, you can actually learn it before entering the OOP(depending on the language you are learning it).

ghostheadx2 wrote:Or, my other option for the second class is assembly and architecture.

For what I saw in your previous posts, Assembly is still advanced for you, you at least need to master a High level language before going into assembly, also data structures helps in understanding how certain things work.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by ghostheadx2 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 pm
([msg=87829]see Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

Also, if I'm making a project in Java while learning Data structures, then could I learn a scripting language on the side this fall while I'm working on a project or should I wait until next year for that? Also, what is a good first project for Java? Right now, I'm thinking an app. But what else is there that I could do with Java?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pretentious on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:23 am
([msg=87840]see Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

Do what feels comfortable. Give it a go and if it gets too much, ease up.
Also what do you mean by app?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by ghostheadx2 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:43 pm
([msg=87850]see Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

I mean an Android app.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pretentious on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:50 am
([msg=87854]see Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

ghostheadx2 wrote:I mean an Android app.

then
ghost107 wrote:if you are wanting to make a application for Android then learn Java

Definitely learn Java before you tackle android. That goes with any language before you tackle one of its frameworks.

I used to hate Java but now I've forgotten why I did. I value fast development time very highly now rather than extra speed, could be a reason.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 am
([msg=87856]see Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

Awesome. Great. Now, for my next question. While learning Data structures, will I be able to learn another language while working on the same project Also, if not, once I've completed the project, after I learn through data structures, will I be able to learn two languages at the same time?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iblist on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:36 pm
([msg=87858]see Re: Will I be able to make my own projects with data structures?[/msg])

Depends on how much time you're willing to spend at and how good you are at learning. Learning other languages isn't hard once you have a solid understanding of a first language, most programming languages include similar constructs, the syntax is just a bit different with some language specific features thrown in.

Data structures can be a pretty tough course, though, so make that your priority.
Those who create and rely upon brilliant and complex creations are often destroyed by some idiot plugging an infected usb stick somewhere they shouldn't have.
Iblist
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Programming