Counter-Intellisense

Put your programming skills to the test in these challenges.

Counter-Intellisense

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:46 pm
([msg=84560]see Counter-Intellisense[/msg])

Not sure how many out there actually work with visual studio or any IDE that provides intellisense. For those that don't know what it is you probably do but here you got anyways(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_code_completion). I mean don't get me wrong it has very productive qualities like time saving being number 1 just for an example. In a professional environment it's mostly used because you're required to have projects done faster rather than better & secure. Hence the reason many websites still have trivial vulnerabilities.

I originally started coding in a terminal/batch file environment and when there was a syntax issue you had to read the man/help files which was a skill in it self. Later on as I got more into coding and doing it as a hobby and then fun and then now etc... I always coded in a linux terminal via the current text editor or at least that was my favorite.

At this point you're probably like wtf is the point of this point. Well, the gist of it is Intellisense is counter productive from learning a language from "the ground up", so to speak. When you write on a command line you need to commit syntax, methods, classes, includes to memory. Even the argument against that where someone would say proper syntax comes up next most of the time. BOOM! incorrect there cheif!

[situation]

You're creating/modifying a website and you now need to mix 2 or 3 different languages at once. No more intellisense when you have to start escaping to inject/insert the other language into the page. You are now intelli-fucke-d.

[/situation]

It's a good tool to have when you are very used to a language, but it still has it's faults. The only thing I can compare it to is a car vs. a car in traffic. Cars get you places faster and more comfortably; Then you run into traffic and you can literally get out of the car and run backwards in reverse while giving the finger to everyone and make it to your destination faster.

If your learning a new language, learn it and commit it to memory. Be able to write the program in your head and then talk out the syntax.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Counter-Intellisense

Post by hellow533 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:24 am
([msg=84563]see Re: Counter-Intellisense[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Intellishit.

I agree about having to learn from the ground up, but for those who already have a damn good idea of how to write code, something like this isn't as much as a problem. If anything they should be able to manually write common syntax they use into the optional presets, as well as having the option to manually write to whatever they are doing. Though I've never used Intellisense myself, it sounds like options they would almost be required to have.

TL;DR I think what LoGiCaL is saying it that if you're having problems with Intellisense, it's probably going to be user error, not program error.

The real question is, what brought this up Logical? Has intellisense started becoming popular with HTS or something?
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:45 am
([msg=84565]see Re: Counter-Intellisense[/msg])

Did I overlook the mission here?
Board index ‹ HTS Missions ‹ Programming
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:51 am
([msg=84569]see Re: Counter-Intellisense[/msg])

Sounds a lot like advice I read somewhere: when learning a language never use an editor that provides auto-completion, it prevents you from learning a language well and teaches you to code by Tab instead. Just use one without, like notepad(++) or vi.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:14 am
([msg=84928]see Re: Counter-Intellisense[/msg])

Yeah, was on a drunken rant when I wrote this. Mshred or limdis or cent if you can please move this to the programming (non-mission) based thread that'd be awesome.

What got me going on it was I had to recently start coding in C# for work and well the code basically completes itself. You type 3 letters click tab as mentioned above and it finishes it for you. In c# there are so many types including delegates for anonymous types and methods that sometimes it feels like I was just brute forcing the intellisense until I got someting working. Didn't really learn anything new except be patient and go down the list and eventuall you'll find something that works. I've gotten a lot better at it since. But, I couldn't see there and write a C# program like lets say I could with c++ or php without intellisense. Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Programming