Basic Mission 9

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 9

Post by Hydr0Dr4gon on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:54 am
([msg=87631]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

So I feel like I did 8 the other way. Back to the drawing board :(
Hydr0Dr4gon
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:19 am
([msg=87632]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

charlotteguy wrote:Everyone's hints assumed that Mission 8 had been completed using a certain advanced code, but I actually did Mission 8 using this other rudimentary code. I could not simply take that code and apply it to Mission 9. But I was trying to, and that got me stuck for awhile.

I have no idea where you got that idea. No 'advanced code' was necessary.

hyme21 wrote:So i have tried replacing...
cyberdrain wrote:The form you added requests a page that doesn't exist on the server...

Ignore this if you feel you should, hyme21 wanted to go the hard way of solving this.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by TheTechBrony on Tue May 26, 2015 10:42 am
([msg=88194]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Ah, man, this one's a toughie! I know how UNIX file structure works, and I know how to navigate and list the files you need, and I figured out SSIs, and I figured out 8, and I think I need to use the level 8 input for level 9, but I can't figure out how to list the stuff from level nine. I can't use "cd .." to get back and then forward to 9. I tried removing the "!" like it said it was looking for in the level 9 description, but it just comes up with the thing I put in with the angle brackets being replaced with "&lt" and "&gt" (in that order), and I tried appending the file names displayed by the correct level 8 command to the level 9 base URL with and without /tmp/, but neither worked. I tried using different commands from the one that solves level 8, but I keep getting that security message. Please help me!
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
Goomy has nothing to do with lines 1 & 2.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Wed May 27, 2015 9:51 am
([msg=88203]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Maybe you don't need to use a certain directory changing command to change directories. :) Edit too much and it won't be SSI, so the system won't recognize it. On a related note, please edit your message a bit so you don't spoil it for others.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by beform3 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:26 pm
([msg=88368]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Thanks for these "missions"... they are really funny! :)
beform3
New User
New User

Post by jc420 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:37 pm
([msg=88398]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

I was thinking this level was going to be more complicated. I couldn't get any commands working in the password input field, but reading a few posts on the first page here I immediately figured it out. :geek:
jc420
New User
New User

Post by xenok on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:14 pm
([msg=88555]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to all this but I've managed to work my way through 1-8. I think I know what I need to do on 9, i.e. navigate parallel to list the files in the level 9 folder by using something from somewhere else (vague enough?), and I learned the UNIX command to do this by reading tutorials online, but I just always get the "on the right track" message, however I format it. Why does simply entering the command to move parallel through directories not work here? After reading all of the comments on this thread, I think I may have done 8 using a shortcut, as I can't get the answer to 9 simply by changing an 8 to a 9.

I hope I haven't posted any spoilers, if anyone could give me a hint on here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

EDIT: No worries I managed to do it, what wouldn't work with 8, worked with 9!
xenok
New User
New User

Post by chikatari_chikitko on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:57 am
([msg=88775]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

limdis wrote:Requirements:
SSI, Directory Traversal.

This one is tricky, so make sure to read the clue carefully. We know that the password file is stored in /var/www/hackthissite.org/html/missions/basic/9/, and since we do not have an input box to run commands, perhaps there is another way to display the files in this particular directory.

Good luck!

Do not post spoilers!

The clues are completely misleading. Just work like you did for the previous level (mission 8) and forget about these or the description of mission 9. They are more confusing than helpful (at least for me).
If you can solve mission 8, you certainly can solve that. No extra knowledge is required, just common sense.
chikatari_chikitko
New User
New User

Post by palmerito0 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:58 pm
([msg=88876]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

After a whole hour of being confused by these misleading hints, I finally figured it out.

I had the wrong argument. I was of by THREE FRICKING CHARACTERS!!!!!!! :evil: :mrgreen:
palmerito0
New User
New User

Post by notfruit on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:25 pm
([msg=89059]see Re: Basic Mission 9[/msg])

Alright, I was reluctant to go here to the forums because of the "asking for help is for babies" part of my brain, but I'm legitimately stuck here. The most frustrating part is I've done this one before and revisiting it I completely forgot how to do it.

I understand that "sam" hid the password is in /basic/9/
I know that /basic/8/ is parallel to ^ directory-wise
And I know that using [magic] I can get the contents of /basic/8/

However, any slight deviation from [magic] will have the site slap my hand away, which means I cannot access basic/ or basic/9/

Am I "on the right track" as the message says?
notfruit
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Basic