Basic Mission 8

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 8

Post by peterbillings on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:22 pm
([msg=93741]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Hello Everyone!

I finally figured this one out after perusing previous posts and Google search results. It's one of those, "the answer is right under your nose" type scenarios. A lot of previous posters seem to get frustrated and pseudo-beg for the answer, to which I'll say, don't do it! It's much more satisfying to revel in the knowledge you gain by figuring it out for yourself! (Even if it's something simple or basic, you're laying your foundation of knowledge and increasing your ability to learn on your own)

Hint: There is a previous hint about playing around with a CLI. It's the best hint! :-)

Thanks to all who make and manage this site! It's great and I can't wait to learn more!

Cheers!
peterbillings
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by SiningLarry on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:00 am
([msg=93779]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

It is really bugging me trying to get to these god damn files!

I could do with some help in finding out the answers and figuring out how to use SSI properly if someone could PM me
SiningLarry
New User
New User

Post by BasicPanda on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 pm
([msg=93787]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

This challenge was tough since I thought I didn't know it, since I've never done PHP, but I knew it even without PHP. Unix and SSI are not that different after all(speculating from lower levels).

HINT: Just play around with your CMD a bit and experiment, it'll help. I use Windows OS so the command I needed to play with was different. This coupled with the foundation statement required to execute the command will make everything "100"
BasicPanda
New User
New User

Post by Thatguy2010 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:05 pm
([msg=93843]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Everything i try gives me the "try something more specific to the mission" message.
The list command works but every time i try to alter the argument it just tells me I'm not allowed to to that.
I really have no idea what you want from me.
Thatguy2010
New User
New User

Post by Trix101 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:59 am
([msg=93891]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

So, first post ever, excuse any flaws, please.

After getting 1-7 done within 30 minutes with basic html/programming/*nix knowledge I got kind of stuck with Basics 8. I already looked up SSI on common ressources ( wikipedia, the apache tutorial linked in this thread) and read many of the posted replies to this topic, but I still seem to be stuck.
I think I narrowed it down, I managed to get the one special output with 254 chars (hope that's not too much of a spoiler). I also think I understood one hint mentioned in this thread the right way (the same method I used to get the 254 chars can handle parameters), but once I try different parameters, I get the "error"-message telling me to use "whitelisted" commands for this challenge.

So... any hints that could take me further?

thx in advance
Trix101
New User
New User

Post by assudo on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:23 pm
([msg=94001]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!! :D :D :D for anyone still struggling: look up how to navigate the directory (if this is too spoiler-ish, just tell me and I'll remove it)
assudo
New User
New User

Post by rwar on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 am
([msg=94259]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:
Adrian888 wrote:Hi. Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?

I think what I need to do is figure out how to use unix commands to point at and list the correct directory. Cant seem to make that work though. I looked up the unix command and I should be able to specify the directory I want to "discover" but I can't seem to get this more advanced command right.

Is there any way in unix to discover the file names of all files one directory higher?

You're so very very close. How do you normally move around in a directory structure? Combine the two somehow.

Also, if the files don't exist, are you sure you're looking at the right directory?

After reading this made me realized: it is SO MUCH in your face!!! :roll:
Although I tried another commands that had a similar approach, unfortunately only one is the correct. So don't give up people!
rwar
New User
New User

Post by d05bro on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 pm
([msg=94732]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

These page not found error pages are hilarious. But, I think I've seen them all.

(P.S. I still can't complete this one)
d05bro
New User
New User

Post by d05bro on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm
([msg=94734]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

After being mislead by the first two sentences on the level 8 page for hours, I've finally figured this one out. I kept trying to put the abs. path of the directory directly into the command...

If anyone needs some help on this one, I recommend visiting these two pages:

http://www.rapidtables.com/code/linux/ls.htm
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Server-Side_Includes_(SSI)_Injection
d05bro
New User
New User

Post by bbakbbak2 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 pm
([msg=94783]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

I finally made it
concentrate on the extension [.shtml] which content's out
and search about it on google
bbakbbak2
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Basic