Basic Mission 7

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 7

Post by TarTarIk on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 pm
([msg=93344]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

Well I was way overthinking that. thank you!

Diggersby wrote:
TarTarIk wrote:Sooooo-- I've read all the posts, googled SSI, *nix commands, Unix tutorials and I'm still lost.
I understand we're looking for a command to print the directory but I'm not sure where that command goes. It's not just punching it into the calendar box cause that doesn't work.

But I don't understand how I'm supposed to alter the source code here. All the examples from googling things show a command line and not the form with inputs and what not.

As you can see I'm at the beginning. Basic clues would help greatly. THANKS.

Hey there!

So you're on the right track by trying to punch in commands into Sam's calendar program. I find it helpful to think about what Sam's program is doing.
So if the program is returning the output of a UNIX cal command, you should think about UNIX inputs, yes?
But it won't accept a command just typed into the text box alone--the cal command is still waiting for an input.
If you're unfamiliar with UNIX commands, I recommend looking up the semicolon ';' in a UNIX command line context. (Nobody says you need put one command on a single line ;) )
TarTarIk
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Diggersby on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:52 am
([msg=93346]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

I'm glad to have helped :)
Diggersby
New User
New User

Post by SwordOfMalkav on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:18 pm
([msg=93387]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

:?: I'm not really getting the point of where this is leading off.

I used the proper command to change directory and list off all the file names. I see 4 files, one of which is rather conspicuously named- I assume a password. I enter the text into the password bar, and the password is incorrect.

I also just tried reading the (clearly a password).php file, and am not getting any results. Kinda feel like this is a dead end. Not sure what I'm missing.

NVM

In retrospect, the solution should have been obvious. I just expected the unix commands to do it for me.
SwordOfMalkav
New User
New User

Post by Sergey-Lopatin on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:18 am
([msg=93467]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

Ok so I am a little confused. I know I have to escape the "normal text" and instead have it run as a full command but how would I do that? No spoilers just point me in the right direction.
Sergey-Lopatin
New User
New User

Post by Draco_ on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:27 pm
([msg=93516]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

Rezlets wrote:Afaict this is what the script does.

The user inputs some text, let's call it X.
The script makes the string "cal X".
That script is then executed on a Linux box.
So if the user enters "2010" the command is "cal 2010" and if the user enters "xyzzy" the command is "cal xyzzy".

Note the order in which those actions are performed: the input isn't sent directly to the cal command, it's put in the string that is sent to the command line.

How would you run multiple programs with one command on a Linux machine?

OMG THIS HELPED ME SO MUCH THANK UUUUUUUU. You simplified it in an elegant manner
Draco_
New User
New User

Post by Buckle on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:47 pm
([msg=93522]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

not sure how to take down my post so this is an edit
Buckle
New User
New User

Post by Buckle on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:34 pm
([msg=93523]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

limdis wrote:Requirements:
Basic UNIX commands

We know that Network Security Sam has the password file hidden in the current directory, and we also have a calendar script to play with. How would we trick the cal command to output a list of all the files in the current directory? If you are not familiar with Linux/Unix (*nix) commands then stop right now and get over to Google. You cannot complete this without knowing a couple of the very basic commands used in *nix!

Good luck!

Do not post spoilers!

changed my post so I don't spoil it.. Can someone remove these posts or tell me how to do it? They're pointless now..
Buckle
New User
New User

Post by xao80 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 pm
([msg=93524]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

So I found out how to execute code.
I got the name of the file.
I got 8-char text in it which according to the task should be the password.
I put it in the password form, and it is incorrect!
I searched cal.pl and other directory contents and found nothing else appropriate.
The only thing I'd like to know if the task is broken or I do not understand it?

UPD

It came clear one can't just download file, coz the contents of it will be changed to make ftp scanners useless. But it seems only the contents of cal.pl can be viewed. Still think level7 is broken.
xao80
New User
New User

Post by KJHille on Wed May 31, 2017 3:56 pm
([msg=93738]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

Is there a mod or admin that I can PM? I have the answer but it keeps telling me that I'm wrong? I don't want to put the answer on the board.

NVM, got it. Was adding a space when I copied the PW. silly me.
KJHille
New User
New User

Post by BasicPanda on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:21 pm
([msg=93786]see Re: Basic Mission 7[/msg])

I know a bit of Unix commands from playing around, learning and HackNet, but it didn't work no matter what I did. After a couple hours, I got desperate and started guessing what I could do with the commands... and it was right.

Heads up: Did not find a single reference to this answer on Unix learning sites(only looked at tutorial point and a couple googles searches), as it only provided common syntax.
For those of you that enjoy programming, refer back to conditional statements.
This... or a common mistake when beginning programming in languages like Cpp.

And onto L8. All smiles.
BasicPanda
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Basic