Basic Mission 8

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 8

Post by bousouliki on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:57 pm
([msg=107676]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

never mind. figured it out !
bousouliki
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by arthurenglish on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:09 pm
([msg=107929]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Just finished this mission and thought it would be good to contribute something from my experience.

I've learnt through these missions not to rush the learning process. It is much more satisfying to have a good grasp on the concept and not feel like you're guessing.

Yesterday, after hours of looking at everything I kept thinking that I should map things out on paper but i didn't because I was so close. My advice is to put things on paper. I did it today and solved it right away.

I do have a question I can't ask on the forums out of curiosity. Who can I message?
arthurenglish
New User
New User

Post by yaidel22 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 pm
([msg=108104]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Hey guys, tip for whoever is stuck in this mission:
1-Go a little bit deeper in UNIX commands to manage filesystem dirs
2-Don't overthink it, the answer is simpler than you think.

See ya on the next one good luck! :D
yaidel22
New User
New User

Post by Scribbiez on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 pm
([msg=108242]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Ok, I am suffering here. On a VM in a Linux terminal I can run my command, in one line and see the results. That command of course is blocked here for this activity. I feel as if this exercise is needlessly difficult because you are only able to do the exact solution and nothing else.
Scribbiez
New User
New User

Post by Twisted_Code on Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:36 pm
([msg=108442]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Scribbiez wrote:Ok, I am suffering here. On a VM in a Linux terminal I can run my command, in one line and see the results. That command of course is blocked here for this activity. I feel as if this exercise is needlessly difficult because you are only able to do the exact solution and nothing else.

I agree. You'd think we'd at least be allowed to use relatively harmless SSI commands like ECHO. I understand it's probably not practical to sandbox or otherwise isolate the activity here, but give us a little more freedom please? I'm really not sure where I should go, and honestly forget where I was back in August so... I guess I'll start from scratch?

sidenote: @fashizzlepop why do I get logged out from the forum when I try to jump to a page via typing it's URL in my address bar? E.g. I tried to jump to this page by full URL (including viewtopic.php parameters f=14&t=10754&start=280) after logging in but it shows as if I am not logged in (at least until I navigate back to the previous "you have been logged in" page). What sort of weird session handling are you using here? Seems like the session token is only passed from page to page if I navigate via hyperlink, but I don't know enough about the underlying process to understand why.
hi, I'm your friendly neighborhood BSIT student and computer science enthusiast. I have a spinal cord injury that prevents me from typing with my hands, but I don't let that stop me (*cough cough* virtual keyboard).
Twisted_Code
New User
New User

Post by kerokami on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:13 am
([msg=108582]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Its so frustrating. For whatever reason, I keep giving up on HTS for a while, I come back, and I get stuck every time on Mission 8 for some ungodly amount of time. At least this time, I've found out that I have a real goal and incentive to be here, as before I was just trying to feel cool and like I could do something, when I actually wasn't sure if I was learning anything or what.

But somehow I just keep getting stuck on that file listing bit. I think the issue is that I don't really understand file structure for whatever reason, but I don't really know what to look up or what it is that I'm not understanding here. I wanted to do a command that would list more details at least, but that didn't work and I'm not actually sure it would've done anything useful. Checking every file seems inefficient... maybe its in a different place? Maybe there are things inside of them I can list and then I could use the one that looks suspicious? I thought I could change the command to contain URL information from something I read on here, but I'm not even sure that's a thing.

Maybe I should try experimenting with command lines on my own. I don't have a server or anything, but maybe I can try and see if I'm understanding it.

Either way, I'm just venting. I'll have to pick this up later.
kerokami
New User
New User

Post by Jcking84 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:18 pm
([msg=108761]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

This took my wayyy too long. And the stupid part was I was so focused on the level 7. That i forgot to look what i was seeing.....I feel so dumb as this took me 2 days. But i actually already got it after a couple of minutes but I just didn't look....On to level 9 now!
Jcking84
New User
New User

Post by vincenttan56 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:43 am
([msg=108827]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Nice to read your article! Tuition Assignments
vincenttan56
New User
New User

Post by amazedLlama on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:07 am
([msg=109810]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

You will slap yourself for how simple the solution is, I guarantee it :lol: :lol:
amazedLlama
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Basic