My basics behind Social Engineering (maybe lame)

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

Re: My basics behind Social Engineering (maybe lame)

Post by 5c71p10v37 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:13 am
([msg=41886]see Re: My basics behind Social Engineering (maybe lame)[/msg])

I did some social engineering with a email from msn using hotmail an live did you know with gmail they let you change your email to something like gmail-team@gmail.com you have to keep your email for a lil min to do that but once you are able to do that you can trick ppl making think your somebody else that your not ;)
GOING
TO LEAVE
USA
N GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY
IN START A WAR
5c71p10v37
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by msbachman on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:22 am
([msg=41887]see Re: My basics behind Social Engineering (maybe lame)[/msg])

Arhk wrote:This dude has spelling errors all over his post can someone translate....?

:| Are you really going there?
~ Social Engineering didn't know there was a word for how I get money out of my mom (or how I get extensions on my projects from my teachers) ....
~ To do a little speculation Social Engineering e.g manipulating people (I hope I haven't over simplified) is well very easy for us who process thought a certain way I think hackers *not simple programmers who lack interest in the most intricate details of their environment whom could be compared to no more than hobbyist in a dead end job*, but I believe we posses (I use the term "we" to group us "hackers" together because of the suggested idea we have a similar way of thought) this ability innately which is why the movies always show a guy talking to a non hacker getting compromising information from them. Even the most anti-social of our kind know how to put on a charming act when seen as needed.... It's as if every word were scripted & scrutinized before said.
~ You can tell whom were born with the skills for this craft they know all the right things to say (most of the time) I mean after all as a hacker you're an intense thinker that means you as I have, have scrutinized social relations enough you've obtained near mastery simply from observing.

Code: Select all

$ grammarlint arhk_post.txt
grammarlint: segmentation fault

grammarlint didn't like your post....
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by acantho on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:52 am
([msg=42622]see Re: My basics behind Social Engineering (maybe lame)[/msg])

There's a word that's been around for a long long time that aptly describes social engineering and social engineers - con/conman/conwoman !
We've all done it at one point in our lifes, wether telling half truths to get something we wanted as a kid or to get out of the blame for something we did.

Personaly I dislike the term social engineer/engineering and think that con/man/woman is a far better and more descriptive term.
acantho
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Cryptovirus on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:46 am
([msg=44292]see Re: My basics behind Social Engineering (maybe lame)[/msg])

The trick to social engineering is not having a visible conscience, being completely comfortable with spewing lie after lie or stabbing someone who trusts you squarely in the back.

The "visible conscience" part is important because, for example, no one will notice you're uncomfortable over IM.

Moreover, it is usually easy to find small vulnerabilities and show those to the target to gain their trust, and then get them to upload a nice little shell for you so you can do some more testing.

Although, the few times I did that I was actually testing, and I didn't find what I was looking for. (unrestricted access to home folders of other users) =[
Cryptovirus
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Social Engineering