is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:10 pm
([msg=92401]see is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?[/msg])

So I have a few questions about social engineering. I want to try to generate a social engineering minor for college because I think it might be a good thing to know if I have a job in security. The thing is, I don't know if that's worth doing, if it makes me more hire-able, if its doable, and if its worth it. I'm also wondering if its legal to do (I know that might sound dumb). If it is legal, doable, realistic, and worth it, then how would you recommend constructing a minor in such an area? All sorts of minors can be constructed at my school, and I know you guys don't go there so maybe you won't know the answer but I have a feeling there is a small chance someone could answer my questions.

Also, how does one legally practice social engineering? Isn't it used in cyber-security? I'm just wondering because it seems like something that might be good to have. Isn't there such a thing as social engineering penetration testing because I heard there was.

So what classes would you recommend in such a minor in the case that this is worth doing? I'm guessing psychology is a big one. Do you think its not a good idea? I am allowed to construct minors for things that don't already exist as a full on minor at my school, so long as I can come up with a realistic curriculum and get it approved. I may have to go to another school for some of the classes but that's allowed.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?

Post by Scar0ptics on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:53 pm
([msg=92402]see Re: is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?[/msg])

There is a lot of free information online and I understand that education is important, but it is unfortunate that it's also very expensive. There are multiple websites and books online that would give you the ability to educate yourself on social-engineering - it can never be mastered or perfected. I would just major in a particular curriculum and gain experience by acquiring a job and furthering your education while working.

hope this helps
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:24 pm
([msg=92407]see Re: is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?[/msg])

I'm considering SE for a minor, not a major. My major, which I really like, is Information Technology.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stephenjensen1 on Tue May 05, 2020 8:19 am
([msg=104080]see Re: is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?[/msg])

Re: essay typer is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?

I am not sure it is worth to study at the university at all. Are you sure you want to pay money for this course if you can do a self-education on social engineering and took as a minor something more practical and applicable to your future career?
stephenjensen1
New User
New User

Post by kloscarolyn on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:48 am
([msg=108144]see Re: is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?[/msg])

stephenjensen1 wrote:Re: essay typer is a social engineering minor a good idea & how to constuct?

I am not sure it is worth to study at the university at all. Are you sure you want to pay money for this course if you can do a self-education on social engineering and took as a minor something more practical and applicable to your future career?

It seems to me that studying at a university is not always more useful than learning something with the help of courses if you look at these two types of studying from the prism of acquiring some kind of soft skills. There will be a lot of unnecessary items at the university, which of course can be done using special services, but the fact remains that the main thing is the acquisition of soft skills, and if you look at things from the prism of acquiring soft skills, then in the university and in the courses they are given approximately the same, there is only one essential the difference - why do you need unnecessary knowledge in non-core subjects or unnecessary troubles and waste of money on homework in non-core subjects that accompany university studies?
kloscarolyn
New User
New User

Return to Social Engineering