code libary

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

Re: code libary

Post by neuromanta on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 am
([msg=54265]see Re: code libary[/msg])

thetan wrote:I've never used launchpad so i cant speak to that. Launchapd uses bazaar instead of git and i can't speak to bazaar either.

The only distributed version control systems i have experience with are Mercurial and Git. They're both good but git is the obvious winner at least to me.

I think Github is really what made git what it is today. Instead of being just another source repository hosting service, they really nailed the social coding aspect and i think github has forever changed open source software development for the better.

I didn't ask which version control system is better, git is my favorite too (at my work we use git and clearcase - the latter is the most crappy version control system I have ever seen...), but bazaar is not that bad either.

Launchpad is not just a webpage where you can store your repositories. You can manage whole projects, manage it's code, bugs, translations, features you're going to implement, others can ask questions, contribute to it, etc. So it's really cool. But if I just want to store a smaller program code, or library, it's not worth to make a whole project for it in Launchpad (although you can configure it in a way that you just want to use it as a repo). So what is github's advantage over Launchpad? Is it worth to store my smaller programs in github, and my bigger projects in Launchpad?

PS: It would be cool if there were a webpage where one could manage all kinds of open projects, whether it is a software, hardware, novel, comic, animation, movie, music, or anything.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by thetan on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:29 am
([msg=54267]see Re: code libary[/msg])

Well thats a good thing because i was never saying X vcs was better then Y vcs. My point clear and simple is git is incomplete without github as a complete ecosystem imo.

neuromanta wrote:PS: It would be cool if there were a webpage where one could manage all kinds of open projects, whether it is a software, hardware, novel, comic, animation, movie, music, or anything.

The website you just described _is_ github.

Thousands of people manage and host their blog directly through github, using their "pages system" ( http://pages.github.com/ ) powered by Jekyll (https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll). Similar spin off systems exist on github such as the howtonode.org project that hosts all of it's articles through forked git repositories via an alternative system to Jekyll called Wheat thats based on NodeJS and a JS-git system.

Also, github hosts several really large projects such as:
+ Arduino
+ Erlang-OTP
+ Voldermort (Amazon's open-source dynamo clone)
+ Memcached
+ Redis (corporately sponsored by VMWare)
+ MongoDB (corporately sponsored/developed by 10gen)
+ PhpBB
+ Hiphop-php
+ NodeJS
+ Sinatra
+ Symfony
+ Ruby on Rails

So i would be really slow to say that github is only optimal for smaller projects. It has all the project management features you'd expect in a modern VCS hosting solution (issue tracking with prioritization and assignment/status where you can tie commits to fixes , fully versioned wiki, integration with Trac and other issue tracking systems, pull requests with threaded code review discussion for each pull request, team management where you can create X number of teams of Y size with Z sets of responsibilities and privledges, post-commit hooks that configurably post commit logs to irc, email and a dozen other systems out of the box) just with a level of integration like i've never witnessed anywhere else.

The corporation i'm working for is actually considering purchasing a Github:FI license so we can run a private instance of github behind our corporate firewall so we can maintain proprietary security.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neuromanta on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:51 pm
([msg=58705]see Re: code libary[/msg])

Sorry for necroing this thread, but my question closely relates to our discussion with Thetan.
So, I'm thinking about moving all kinds of my projects online, and I think that the abvious choice would be Github. I have registered there of course, and I looked around a bit, but I think that there is much more to it, then what I see now. Thetan said that Github is good for all kinds of projects, and I have many kinds of them.
There is no problem with my programming projects, git is made to store source codes, and it's perfect for that. Also there are many examples of hardware projects hosted on github, so I won't have probelms with that too. But what about more artistic projects? For example vector graphics for stencils, or music samples, or 3D models? Do github give any kind of support to listen to a music sample or view a 3D model? Or can I make a custom structure of the project's webpage to fit the type of project? So, basicly, how good is Github for not so conventional projects? It would be cool to host all my projects from one place (although I don't know if 0,3 GB would be enough of not :) ).
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Interpreted Languages