Copy to notepad

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Copy to notepad

Post by clay_sam75 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:20 pm
([msg=60712]see Copy to notepad[/msg])

Hi guys,

Im relatively new to this and have started needing to change the html codes in some of the basic challenges. Im pretty sure you cant change the code within the "Inspect element" section of the page. So I need to know how to copy sections of the code or the entire code into notepad to change it. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
clay_sam75
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Copy to notepad

Post by tremor77 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:23 pm
([msg=60713]see Re: Copy to notepad[/msg])

Depending on your browser of course... I tend to use FF so I just right click within the page, hit view page source, which opens up in the FF source browser. I then right click, hit select all, then right click again, select copy.

Here is where is gets interesting. I then open up Notepad++ (you should have this instead of plain old notepad) - I then right click in a new blank document, and click paste.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Post by MrAlphaRogue on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:38 pm
([msg=60754]see Re: Copy to notepad[/msg])

The best way to learn is to search for these answers yourself by utilizing a search engine such as Google. (Google is your friend.) Although people will be willing to help here, you will probably retain the information better if you put more effort into finding the answers to your issue. Worst case scenario, you at least learn how to search for answers.

Anywho. Because I am in a good mood, I will make it very simple for you.

Step 1: Go to the desired website.
Step 2: ctrl u to open the source code. (Alternatively, go to the top of your browser and hit 'view' then 'page source'
Step 3: ctrl a (Or right click and select all)
Step 4: ctrl c (Or right click and Copy)
Step 5: Open Notepad
Step 6: ctrl v (Or right click and Paste)
Step 7: Edit whatever it is that you are editing
Step 8: If you want it to open this file as a web page to see the changes made, save the file as a .html file. (Example: 'filename.html')

Happy hacking!
MrAlphaRogue
New User
New User

Post by clay_sam75 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:16 pm
([msg=60766]see Re: Copy to notepad[/msg])

Thanks to both you guys. Great help. Dont know why but when i right clicked the page and clicker inspect element it wouldnt let me copy, but by using ctrl+u or by using firefox it lets me not. Many thanks :)
clay_sam75
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:22 pm
([msg=60767]see Re: Copy to notepad[/msg])

When you 'inspect element', you're actually doing that with the add-on, Firebug. Firebug has it's own weird formatting so it's more complicated than just straight forward source code. After you do it enough, you'll get in the groove of copying source code in like four seconds. Example:
CTRL + u;
CTRL + a;
CTRL + c;
Windows key + d;
Windows key + r;
Type notepad;
CTRL v;
Profit.
For those about to hack, I salute you.
teehee
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by tremor77 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:49 pm
([msg=60793]see Re: Copy to notepad[/msg])

I do my copy and paste to notepad without ever touching the keyboard! Eat it! (Better, because this way I don't have to put down my smoke)
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Post by MrAlphaRogue on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:08 pm
([msg=60799]see Re: Copy to notepad[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:I do my copy and paste to notepad without ever touching the keyboard! Eat it! (Better, because this way I don't have to put down my smoke)

Read my post carefully and you will notice that both methods (Keyboard only and mouse only) are posted for each step... Neither of them are hard to accomplish. I just find that the keyboard shortcuts are quicker.
MrAlphaRogue
New User
New User

Return to General