Router Problems

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Router Problems

Post by Dwere on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:47 pm
([msg=46445]see Router Problems[/msg])

Okay, so as I'm not my at-home network administrator or anything, I've no idea what type of router it is off the top of my head, and I'm not at home to check.
However my mom and step dad and I share a router when I am at home. It works fine, although we have slow internet speed - lots of streaming and only like a 1.5mbps connection to begin with over a radio signal. Not sure the exact specs. Anyway off topic.
The router works fine mostly... but seems to be a firmware problem where it misdirects/redirects inappropriately. For example, one could type in www.twitter.com and wind up at myspace. Or one could type in www.facebook.com and wind up at google. It's a simple fix, unplug the router for 30 seconds and it's fine. Back to normal. But it's frustrating to have this happen almost once a day. I can assure it's not a virus on the machine, or on all 3 machines. We are all rather safe and secure surfers, and have up-to-date security software. There is some documentation - so says my step dad - that it is in fact a firmware bug with the router. I was wondering specifically if anyone here knows how to:
1) Update the firmware - if there is a firmware update - so that the issue is resolved
or
2) Knows of any other fixes to this problem that are more permanent, without actually replacing the router?

Thanks,
-Dwere (David)
-Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Router Problems

Post by Goatboy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:52 pm
([msg=46447]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

There is usually an option within the router's Web interface itself to update the firmware. This generally involves going to the manufacturer's website, downloading the latest firmware image, then uploading/installing it on the router.

One thing you may want to check is if there are any custom DNS servers being used in the configuration. I know a month or so ago, my dad had this problem. As it turns out, some Russians (I am assuming it was them) randomly scanned IPs, and his got picked up. Having no password, it was entirely open. They put in their own DNS as the primary one to use. In this way, all his requests were different than he'd expect. Check to see if you are having this problem.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:20 pm
([msg=46454]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

Goatboy has probably got it, but you also might want to check that your router is up to date with your ISP's current infrastructure. Ie, if you use comcast, check to make sure your router isn't outdated. That's what was wrong with my dad's.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Dwere on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:34 am
([msg=46473]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:There is usually an option within the router's Web interface itself to update the firmware. This generally involves going to the manufacturer's website, downloading the latest firmware image, then uploading/installing it on the router.

One thing you may want to check is if there are any custom DNS servers being used in the configuration. I know a month or so ago, my dad had this problem. As it turns out, some Russians (I am assuming it was them) randomly scanned IPs, and his got picked up. Having no password, it was entirely open. They put in their own DNS as the primary one to use. In this way, all his requests were different than he'd expect. Check to see if you are having this problem.

The Russian thing is not likely, our network is all passworded. The web interface for our router and the wifi access is all password protected. I may be misunderstanding what you're implying.

It seems like we have downloaded the latest firmware, but the bug has not been fixed yet.
-Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:

Dwere
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:37 am
([msg=46474]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

Yea, I was implying that you may not have a password set.

Well, assuming your DNS is all set correctly, then I would definitely assume some sort of bug. What make/model is your router?
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Dwere on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:05 am
([msg=46476]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

Linksys WRT16N V3
However, I think my step dad may have replaced the router in the last couple of days. I haven't noticed any issues for a couple days, and this one didn't quite seem as familiar to me, as the last time I had to go and reset it. So I'm not sure. I will definitely ask in the morning, and get back to you, but until then do you know of any bugs/fixes with this particular router?
-Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:

Dwere
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:38 am
([msg=46480]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

I would be thoroughly shocked if Linksys released a product with a bug like this. Their products are usually top-of-the-line.

A quick google search for the model didn't turn anything up, but this was just a quick search.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Dwere on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:31 pm
([msg=46495]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

Sorry, nope. No replacement of the router, and the firmware is up to date to the best of mine, and my step-dad's knowledge. I should specify that my step dad is a Network Architect for a company known as CSC - Computer Science Corporation or something similar to that. So I would have EXPECTED him to know if the firmware were updated etc.

So it is the linksys router that's giving us issues, and it has not been resolved as of yet. I just clarified with my step dad.
-Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:

Dwere
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:26 pm
([msg=46505]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

Dwere wrote:... and my step-dad's knowledge. ... my step dad is a ...

... my step dad.

Well there's your problem. Step-dad's are universally assholes. Might he be doing this just to piss you off?

I am joking of course, but you shouldn't rule this out. I know mine has done every dirty trick in the book, from cutting my phone line (physically cutting) all the way to leaving my clothing out in the rain because he needed to use the dryer.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Dwere on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:44 am
([msg=46528]see Re: Router Problems[/msg])

Nah, my step dad's a real good guy, he treats me and my mom both very well. I like him, and while he and I play jokes on each other constantly, he wouldn't keep the joke going and have it affecting he and my mom as well. But I respect the potential there. LOL.
And that sucks about your step dad dude.
But eh. I wonder if it's something to do with the bandwidth usage? I know they've spoken with our ISP about the fact that we have such slow internet, and we were informed that we're routinely monitored because of an exorbitant amount of bandwidth used (all 3 of us watch a lot of streaming tv for example Netflix, or Hulu, amazon video over roku player, etc.)
-Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:

Dwere
New User
New User

Next

Return to Networking