Looking for a mentor

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Looking for a mentor

Post by Perckypick on Sat May 09, 2009 12:24 am
([msg=23430]see Looking for a mentor[/msg])

Basically, I'm looking for a mentor, one that is willing to stick with me in the longer term (I prefer a few lessons at at time spread out over a huge period of time vs. tons of lessons in a small period of time, but stop the lessons fairly soon).

Here is what I want to learn:

How to detect malicious sites. I want to know how I can detect common (and maybe uncommon?) malicious threats that sites have, and also how I can help prevent them from myself.

Defending my own computer: It's been way too often where someone has tried hacking my computer, and I've just sat there praying that AVG saves my $4000. I want to know that I can actually do something, and fight to defend it against those people.

Defense of websites: I just recently got asked to set up a server for them. I've done it plenty of times, but I don't usually hack-proof it. I would like if I had some knowledge of the most common types of site exploits and how to solve them.

Here is what I have done on hackthissite:

1-9 on Basic,

All of JavaScript.

I did that in 2 days, without looking up any of the answers. So I hope that's proof enough that I am willing to work hard.

What I am/am not looking for:

-Someone who can teach, not just tell me the answers
-Someone who is patient, and won't start being an arse if I don't get it right away (hopefully that won't happen too much...)
-Mature (obviously!)
-Free....Ok, not trying to be an ass, but I don't have any money. Many people, myself included love to teach just for the sake of teaching, and would be willing to help for free.

Reply to this thread if you're interested, and I can give you my contact info. Thanks!!! :mrgreen:
Perckypick
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Looking for a mentor

Post by Monica on Sat May 09, 2009 12:40 am
([msg=23433]see Re: Looking for a mentor[/msg])

If you have questions, ask here. That's what we're here for. You cannot expect someone to 'help' you step-by-step for a long period of time. You LEARN by doing your own research.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Perckypick on Sat May 09, 2009 2:01 am
([msg=23437]see Re: Looking for a mentor[/msg])

Monica wrote:If you have questions, ask here. That's what we're here for. You cannot expect someone to 'help' you step-by-step for a long period of time. You LEARN by doing your own research.

I guess I should have specified, I'm not looking for step by step. I am looking for someone who maybe once a week can just be like "alright, so you perfected that JS injection we talked about? Good. Now, heres a new language you should learn, and heres some forms of it that you should get ot know".

I know the whole hacker community is about "learn it yourself" etc. etc., however being a person who grew up with strict tutalage (wtf spelling...) on his instrument for 10 years, I just don't believe that, at least personally, it's possible to go very far without someone else helping you.

Sure I could ask the community, but I find myself constantly asking new questions (ones that google just can't provide). Forums and searches are good for answering general questions, but I think overall stuff like what languages to learn, in what order, and some special stuff to look for in each language based on what my intent is, would just fill the forums with way too many questions.
Perckypick
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Sat May 09, 2009 3:53 am
([msg=23440]see Re: Looking for a mentor[/msg])

How about you use this site and its community as your menter? You can ask whenever you want and someone will answer your question.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Perckypick on Sat May 09, 2009 3:13 pm
([msg=23481]see Re: Looking for a mentor[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:How about you use this site and its community as your menter? You can ask whenever you want and someone will answer your question.

I'm just afraid that I would ask too many questions, and I would get the usual

"www.google.com"

response, when in reality I research everything a lot before I ask.
Perckypick
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Sat May 09, 2009 3:25 pm
([msg=23482]see Re: Looking for a mentor[/msg])

You can ask as many as you like but try to space them out, as in dont have one post in web and another in crypto within 2 minutes.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by mischief on Sat May 09, 2009 6:52 pm
([msg=23490]see Re: Looking for a mentor[/msg])

read the sig :>
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by eevilweevil on Mon May 11, 2009 12:53 pm
([msg=23573]see Re: Looking for a mentor[/msg])

What kind of skill are you looking for? I mean, I wouldn't consider myself a Grade A hacker (I'm sure my points show it), but I've got a damn lot of spare time, and I'm willing to learn as much as you are.
eevilweevil
New User
New User

Return to NZone