Legality

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Legality

Post by Amorack on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:43 pm
([msg=10135]see Legality[/msg])

I have been wondering something as of late. Is it really illegal to connect to an unsecured wireless network, and only using the internet with no intention of doing harm. I always thought that if there's no password then it's free for anyone to use.
Amorack
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Legality

Post by TobiasGray on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:06 pm
([msg=10282]see Re: Legality[/msg])

You are, however, using somebody else's paid privilege.

But I agree with you; nobody should really have any objection, if you don't intend to do any harm at all, or if you are doing completely legal activities.
"This is the worst day of my life."

"Correction, the worst day of your life so far"

- Homer Simpson
TobiasGray
New User
New User

Post by feenixb1o7 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:22 pm
([msg=11521]see Re: Legality[/msg])

As far as I know it's not illigal, it's more like... tresspassing lol. Besides if you do get caught just plead ignorance, just say you thought you were on yours lol... or say your computer automatically connects to a network in range... that's what Macs do right? with the airport thingy... I'm a windows *shudders* user myself.
feenixb1o7
New User
New User

Post by nosidius on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:13 pm
([msg=11626]see Re: Legality[/msg])

don't knock windows....... believe it or not it is a decently powerful OS, even if its not the most flexible......... it does have nice features though, and a S*** load of documentation (plus a ton of great exploits for school!)

and it shouldn't be illegal, everyone has the power (and opportunity when they get their router) to encrypt it, and all of the isp's that i know of support at least wep (as pathetic as it is)
give me knowledge or give me death
nosidius
Poster
Poster

Post by beagle on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:38 am
([msg=11714]see Re: Legality[/msg])

if you do get caught just plead ignorance

Not if they check this site for your posts ;)
beagle
Poster
Poster

Post by thedotmaster on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:05 am
([msg=11724]see Re: Legality[/msg])

A few people have been arrested for it actually, but I think they were doing it to stay anonymous and commit crimes etc.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by myhexhax on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:43 pm
([msg=11945]see Re: Legality[/msg])

It's illegal. It's computer tresspass, unauthorized access to a computer network. And your bandwidth usage is degrading the actual user's performance.

And if not, it's theft of services. (i.e. you are using something you did not pay for)
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... s-car.html
(and there are more where that came from..)

At least, that's what precedent is stating, even though I may not agree with it all. -shrugs-
gniripsni ewa si rehte eht morf cisum siht
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by Jimmy_Riddle on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:12 pm
([msg=11948]see Re: Legality[/msg])

Under the OFFCOM regulations of 2003 using someone else's WiFi without their knowledge is considered Theft of service and thus is a prosecutable offense within the UK however, people and a lot of bars and restaurants actually encourage you to use their free WiFi, however beware not all of such places are Free and a lot of the time what has a big sticker saying free will open up a web browser page linking you to a Credit Card details request, on one such page I came across it said "Welcome to our Free WiFi pay now only £6 for 60 Minutes!" needless to say I went elsewhere. :geek:

People don't mind so much so long as they don't find you camped out on their doorstep with your sleeping bag and hot water bottle.
Jimmy_Riddle
New User
New User

Post by etgohomeok on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:51 pm
([msg=11951]see Re: Legality[/msg])

It's alot like leaving the door of your house unlocked. Look at it this way. Alot of people don't lock their front door, but that doesn't mean it's legal or right for someone to just walk in and start using it (cooking, sleeping, watching tv, doing other house stuff).
etgohomeok
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:25 pm
([msg=11990]see Re: Legality[/msg])

Jimmy_Riddle wrote:However beware not all of such places are Free and a lot of the time what has a big sticker saying free will open up a web browser page linking you to a Credit Card details request, on one such page I came across it said "Welcome to our Free WiFi pay now only £6 for 60 Minutes!" needless to say I went elsewhere.

Ah, no. In this circumstance you fire up WireShark, sniff the AP, get a mac address of someone using it, use MacChanger to change your mac address to theirs and then surf away for free. =D
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Networking