Linux VS Windows

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Linux VS Windows

Linux
70%
Windows
30%

Total votes : 158

Linux VS Windows

Post by KSEboom on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:01 pm
([msg=572]see Linux VS Windows[/msg])

Just curious because I prefere Linux :geek:
Why is BBcode off? :(
KSEboom
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Linux VS Windows

Post by Sonic7145 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:10 pm
([msg=589]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

This didn't take too long, haha. I've always been a Windows supporter, but I haven't used Linux very much. I'll probably get into it more soon.
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Post by terminus on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:32 pm
([msg=598]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

This needs to be in context it's too general. Linux versus Windoze at what? Video games? Windoze ftw...Business applications? Windoze again...Stability and Security? Linux...etc..etc...Since security and stability is what interests me 75% of my day I vote Linux. However, a small part of my day may involve gaming so that is a swing towards Windoze....meh.
terminus
New User
New User

Post by terminus on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:33 pm
([msg=599]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

Oh and where does BSD and OS X and Unix come into the picture? They aren't included in the vote?
terminus
New User
New User

Post by Jesus_of_Suburbia on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:40 pm
([msg=615]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

terminus wrote:Oh and where does BSD and OS X and Unix come into the picture? They aren't included in the vote?

Because BSD is Linux
OSX is Crap
and Unix is... not Linux ;)

Ok, honestly, i have to agree, this is very skewed and not as accurate as it could be. This is basically a "Windows vs. Not Windows" :P
Jesus_of_Suburbia
New User
New User

Post by terminus on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:11 pm
([msg=621]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

Jesus_of_Suburbia wrote:
terminus wrote:Oh and where does BSD and OS X and Unix come into the picture? They aren't included in the vote?

Because BSD is Linux
OSX is Crap
and Unix is... not Linux ;)

Ok, honestly, i have to agree, this is very skewed and not as accurate as it could be. This is basically a "Windows vs. Not Windows" :P

wtf...

BSD is not Linux. OS X is a BSD + Mach OS hybrid and OS X is not crap. At least you got one right, Unix is not Linux.
terminus
New User
New User

Post by frag4lot on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 am
([msg=648]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

OS X isn't that bad, it's just different.

I voted Linux b/c it's more stable, has had most of the features Vista, XP, etc... had for years before m$ "copied" them.

The only downside is that game developers refuse to make linux native games.
The ones that do, (like splashdamage) prove that linux is well capable of gaming on.
These games actually run better in linux than in windows, in my experience.

The big downside of linux I can think of is the sound system that could use some work, wrt multiple applications using it (could be the apps fault, nfc..) and it's lack of a top-level equalizer.

What I just love best about linux is it's flexibillity, ... everything goes, nothing is forced on you. total control.

changing themes in here doesn't require third party software aswell, unlike in windows.

anyways, after some mindless rambling, my point is that linux could easilly take over if software developers would just start to make their apps run cross-platform.

There is much work put into linux, since most of the drivers are reverse engineered by fellow devs/users. And this is all done for free, so you could enjoy a life without licenses (since if you buy windows, you don't actually own the software. Just the license. Modifying any of the system could be considered breaking the agreement, thus "not allowed".)

I could go on forever, but i'd probably just end up repeating myself as i even forgot what i just typed >.<
frag4lot
New User
New User

Post by 3nIGhost on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:13 am
([msg=691]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

Look im Windows xp pro fan ... nd dont get me wrong i love my windows lol ... the only badd thing is that you could get hackd nd get massive virus if you aint carefull ... linux ... welll it wont happen... lol i havent hear of anybody who would actually take the time to hack a linux computer nd they cant get viruses .. lol wat else aint better than that ... lol nd its excellent for hackers nd penetrationg ppl lol ... but yeah i vote for linux
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

|Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
3nIGhost
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by GTADarkDude on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:26 am
([msg=716]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

I use Windows XP and I have never used Linux before. I share this computer with the rest of the family and I'm not really allowed to change everything without them knowing, I guess. Still, I've installed quite a lot of programs they never use and I've changed a lot of settings and everything, but I'm not changing the whole OS. I just stick with Windows and I don't have any complaints about it. It also play a lot of games and then you've got to have Windows in most cases.
....................................................................................
GTADarkDude
New User
New User

Post by 3nIGhost on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:59 am
([msg=795]see Re: Linux VS Windows[/msg])

yeah basically alot of games are basically more for windows lol ... but you should try linux from some1 box....
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

|Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
3nIGhost
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Operating Systems