Sony

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Sony

Post by limdis on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:49 pm
([msg=85678]see Sony[/msg])

I'm a little surprised to not see anyone talking about the latest Sony hack :cry:
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Sony

Post by tripbeam on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:03 pm
([msg=85681]see Re: Sony[/msg])

Apparently the sony hack may have been caused because of the movie that is coming out called "The interview".. it's a comedy i'm guessing that makes fun of pyongyang or somebody.

Though they deny being involved, apparently hacktivist groups have taken responsibility. The hackers have made threatening letters towards the employees implying they know there family as they say if the employees do not comply then action will be taken.

A link for greater detail, taken from The Hacker News: http://thehackernews.com/2014/12/Sony-Hack-Cyber-Attack.html
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:32 pm
([msg=85690]see Re: Sony[/msg])

Wait, didn't Ninjex post about that or has Sony been hacked again?
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by pretentious on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:20 am
([msg=85698]see Re: Sony[/msg])

limdis wrote:I'm a little surprised to not see anyone talking about the latest Sony hack :cry:

cyberdrain wrote:Wait, didn't Ninjex post about that or has Sony been hacked again?

This is what I was thinking lol, it was only a few days latter that i saw it on reddit and kinda thought it was the same one. Ninjex was on board before the heartbleed meltdown so i reckon he's got the inside scoop :)
I dont' want to speculate on a developing situation but it would kinda suck to me if north kora was behind it. It would feel like the first time that major information warfare was used in the aid of censorship rather than the good of man kind. I know we've had stuxnet and shit but this is more close to home for me.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by tremor77 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:55 am
([msg=85709]see Re: Sony[/msg])

My personal suspicion is that this was actually an inside job... more and more I think you're going to find that criminals and even more, disgruntled IT employees,will be hacking from internally and using the rogue nation or the hacktivist angle for their coverup.. (ala the plague in our beloved 90's hacker movie). When people and the media are so eager to jump on that bandwagon it gives people an easy scapegoat to commit more nefarious acts for far less righteous reasons (money, revenge)
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:18 pm
([msg=85720]see Re: Sony[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:more and more I think you're going to find that criminals and even more, disgruntled IT employees,will be hacking from internally and using the rogue nation or the hacktivist angle for their coverup.. (ala the plague in our beloved 90's hacker movie). When people and the media are so eager to jump on that bandwagon it gives people an easy scapegoat to commit more nefarious acts for far less righteous reasons (money, revenge)

It's actually funny to see that what the media portrays backfires this badly if what you're saying is true. Not to mention that the only hacker you're likely to see in the media is a 'bad' one. Serves 'em right for spreading lies about our community. That said, imho using hacking for destructive purposes (only) is no fun and revenge or fame aren't really the right motivators in anything.
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tripbeam on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 am
([msg=85736]see Re: Sony[/msg])

The hacker group denied giving out threatening emails to the sony employees, but they demand that sony doesn't realease the movie dubbed "The interview" which is a comedy with the plot being an assasination attemp on Kim Jong Un.

This is the first time the movie was mentioned from the hackers
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:32 am
([msg=85738]see Re: Sony[/msg])

Do you have the original source? I wonder why someone would try to bully a corporation like this, so maybe there's more information. Sure, it's copy-pasted all over the web, but I'm still sceptical. Sony doesn't exactly have a track record for being honest and it's a great way to spin a hack to advertise the movie...

Edit: hmm, the "Hacked by #GOP" message doesn't look like English written by a native speaker. It doesn't help that North Korea has done things like this before and that they also have the means to do it. The more I read the more the story is at the very least plausible. I mean, any corporation sooner or later makes enemies, but most don't work like this.
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tremor77 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:22 am
([msg=85748]see Re: Sony[/msg])

Lets say I wanted to hack Sony.. maybe I used to work there, maybe I know someone there in the IT department and we're working together..... and I have a history of being a con artist, thief, hacker, general bad guy. You run the long con. You're in Sony's network for a year.. you dig up all sorts of dirt, and you work it for whatever it's worth.. but then you need an out. The jig is up and maybe someone not quite stupid is starting to sniff you out... You are not about to pull a Bradley Manning, you don't give to fucks about fame.. you prefer fortune and anonymity.

Look at ourselves here at HTS. Would we not know enough to butcher our english intentionally? Hacked by the #GOP, it's steeping in a slap yo' in da face irony that wreaks of an american anti-establisment hacker type. And playing upon rogue nation fears.. honestly I think it's laughable to say North Korea has the capability. North Korea couldn't even DDoS my Minecraft Server... do they even have power running long enough to stay connected to the internet for more than a few hours? China would be more believable but, China has more interesting things to do.

Read this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/12/09/sony-pictures-entertainment-hack-extortion-north-korea-cyber/20138507/

Pretty good take on the use of misinformation to cover up a hack like this. And this quote:

Joe Kiniry, a principal at the cybersecurity firm Galois and a key investigator for several European governments on cybercrime, also said he puts “little to no credence to the North Korea idea. It would be very, very surprising if it wasn’t an insider attack. To have that much data leak out through your network and not notice it would mean Sony’s security team is just incompetent. I would highly suspect that it was someone on the inside, someone like a Snowden, filling up a USB disk and walking out with out with it.”
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:02 pm
([msg=85755]see Re: Sony[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:Pretty good take on the use of misinformation to cover up a hack like this.

Yeah, well, it's still a plausible explanation. But I agree it's a very weak one, even if it is plausible.

But then again, you're always blaming everything on 'the inside threat' :P
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to General