Microsoft

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Microsoft

Post by learner_0786 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:57 pm
([msg=82211]see Microsoft[/msg])

Hi,

About platforms.

With what OS did you have the best experiences and why was that?

What do you think of Microsoft Windows and their services like hotmail?

Thanks.
Sand over my head?
learner_0786
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Microsoft

Post by pretentious on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:04 am
([msg=82215]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

learner_0786 wrote:With what OS did you have the best experiences and why was that?

I've been using linux mint for the last year about and on and off for a bit before that. Used Windows most of my life, heard how linux was so much better for hacking but it was only after seeing wobly windows that I had to give it a try :P
switched between ubuntu and mint, trying to decide if i prefered having a larger software repository or having a more alligant UI and eventuall I stuck with Mint Cinamon.
learner_0786 wrote:What do you think of Microsoft Windows and their services like hotmail?

I havn't used hotmail for ages, Windows is ok and it's everywhere, so I've learned to live with it. I find the user interface, while solid(arguably linux having so many different graphics systems and standards makes no idervidual one of them particularly amazing) pretty unenspiring. Here's an example that I always site. open up 2 scrollable windows and tile them side by side. you can't scroll in the window without for clicking and making it active. This is infuriating when you have multiple windows and overlap and are used to being able to do it. the linux OS's that I've used have had this feature for as long as I have used them. Of course, this is just a feature, not a problem.

I could probably go on but it's basically mental masturbation.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by learner_0786 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:26 pm
([msg=82226]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

Thanks for your respons
Sand over my head?
learner_0786
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:18 pm
([msg=82232]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

learner_0786 wrote:Hi,

About platforms.

Thanks.

I like to think that if you never run into any errors, you're using the OS wrong (or just not to its full potential). As such I've crashed all of Windows, Mac and Linux systems multiple times (usually) to the point of requiring a reinstall of the OS. That being said, the only times I still use Windows now is when forced to or for the few games that don't run correctly on Linux. I found my experience with Linux is directly correlated with the amount of knowledge I have of its CLI and corresponding tools. As far as Microsoft itself goes, let's say I see it as similar to Google and any other large organisation.

Edit: fixed typo
Last edited by cyberdrain on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by pretentious on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:58 am
([msg=82248]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:As such I've crashed both Windows, Mac and Linux systems multiple times (usually) to the point of requiring a reinstall of the OS.

An expert is someone who has made all the mistakes that can be made. I've reinstalled my OS upwards of 20 times. I'm not ashamed to admit that.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by learner_0786 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:04 am
([msg=82249]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:
learner_0786 wrote:Hi,

About platforms.

Thanks.

I like to think that if you never run into any errors, you're using the OS wrong (or just not to its full potential). As such I've crashed both Windows, Mac and Linux systems multiple times (usually) to the point of requiring a reinstall of the OS. That being said, the only times I still use Windows now is when forced to or for the few games that don't run correctly on Linux. I found my experience with Linux is directly correlated with the amount of knowledge I have of its CLI and corresponding tools. As far as Microsoft itself goes, let's say I see it as similar to Google and any other large organisation.

Can you give an example why the OS did crash? I had to reinstall windows also several times, but this i think was because of a virus.
Sand over my head?
learner_0786
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:52 pm
([msg=82256]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

I will not give all examples, but I will give a few: installing wrong or wrongly coded software, playing around with system files, removing something that shouldn't have been removed, destroying the MBR (doesn't require reinstall), programming something that had a ... slightly different effect than intended. Locking yourself out of the administrator account was something I did to someone else and something which they probably never forgave me for.

I'm careful at what I install or download and use more protection than others, so the only viruses I had to clean up were those downloaded and run by others. Worms usually don't make it past the hardware firewalls. Now that I think of it, we did get Sasser when I was young (no hardware firewalls in 56k modems), but I found out how to defeat that one myself. I don't think that will be forever, one day I will get one or maybe I already have a rootkit and don't even know it.

On Linux the first time I used Debian I had to learn how to 1) recreate the USB key multiple times and finally using dd to copy the first part of the image (boot sector), 2) recreate the MBR of the HDD after installation, 3) boot from GRUB manually (this is a pain if you've never done it before) and 4) reset/change some settings that were (somehow) wrongly configured before I could finally use the OS. The whole mess cost me a few hours, but I learned a lot in the process. Some other time I got a dependency problem and accidentally removed Gnome and Python (yes, it seems Python is required for a lot of installs). Somehow I saved the system, but decided to reinstall just in case more problems could arise. I did not rm -rf partitions yet as some of the other people here have, but coincidentally used a similar command in a .bat file to destroy my desktop on Windows. Hint: always keep your live Linux USB in case of emergency (for both Windows & Linux).

Even a Mac wasn't safe from me, I crashed it a few times using old and (another time) badly written software or just because the OS 'gave up'. I almost never use a Mac, so I was surprised they could crash knowing how some people claim it is the perfect OS.
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by learner_0786 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm
([msg=82298]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

Who would be better in deleting a virus?

The people using Linux/Unix OS, deleting a windows virus or the people using windows OS deleting a unix/lunix?
Sand over my head?
learner_0786
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:01 pm
([msg=82304]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

Never heard of Lunix, though sounds like an interesting distro. Does it come with Gomen or DEK?

I'd like to state here there are no *nix viruses, but that's not the truth. There are very few though. I'll be saying this: anyone with a bit of experience in removing viruses will probably be able to do it on the OS they use. Note however, that there is no baseline, if all someone has ever used is Linux, they'll be hard-pressed to learn Windows and the other way around. What is the point of this question anyway?
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tripbeam on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:44 pm
([msg=82307]see Re: Microsoft[/msg])

My first computer had windows 8 on it so yes i'm fairly new to computers. Any how, i don't like windows 8 at all it had a bad layout i think but i was happy it did come with a mre traditional screen. I did not want a touch screen OS on my pc because when i use a computer i want to use a computer if you know what i mean. Windows 8 had started like it was a new startup multiple times for me like 4 times in the course of 3 months or so which is annoying and BAD it does that at all.

Linux on the other hand, although it dpepends what distro you get i do understand is much more simple to me and i feel comfotable for the most part fixing things in the Konsole. never had to do it for windows but in windows it was much less bearable to me roaming the command line. IT'S FREE for the os too, come on who doesn't like that? now linux is not problem free i have had to use the CLI when lets say the sutdown buttin refused to work and when i needed to reinstall and update the headers. We all have our preferneces, mine is linux and i have heard windows 7 is a good choice i'm nit bashing windows i'm just writing about my experiences.

Sorry for this lengthy post just wanted to come on here like i do everyday and decided i should post something.
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General