Hacking with Linux

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Hacking with Linux

Post by Devious Dave on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 am
([msg=9018]see Hacking with Linux[/msg])

I read a page on the internet, How to Become a Hacker (don't laugh I think it's pretty good, it gives the hacker mindset pretty well) and it says that trying to hack with Windows is trying to dance with a body cast. Why is that? I have windows right now, and it seems to me that all the hacking tools are for windows. Maybe that's just because I only see the windows ones and ignore the linux ones. Ah well. Anyway to my question: Can you hack into any operating system with any operating system? Like running Ubuntu linux could I hack into Windows XP or something? Can you do anything with linux that you can with windows (hacking wise)? The reason I am asking is I want to learn how to hack into computers and do penetration testing for companies. Yes, that will take a VERY long time to become proficient at, but I am in it for the long haul.
Devious Dave
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hacking with Linux

Post by nathandelane on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:17 pm
([msg=9056]see Re: Hacking with Linux[/msg])

Devious Dave wrote:Can you hack into any operating system with any operating system?

Yes, especially using network protocols such as Telnet, SSH, or Remote Desktop protocols.

Devious Dave wrote:Like running Ubuntu linux could I hack into Windows XP or something?

See above.

Devious Dave wrote:Can you do anything with linux that you can with windows (hacking wise)?

Yes and no. There are many things that Linux and Windows do differently. Understanding each operating system as an individual, you may be able to do things in one while remote connected from another (see above), however both operating systems do things very differently. For example Linux (and UNIX) runs on the idea that "everything is a file", meaning that is how you access devices, streams, disks, and anything else, but Windows runs on a different paradigm where files are files, streams are streams, and devices are devices. In many ways it is "more difficult" to hack in Windows because of the protective systems in place, for example explorer.exe, one of the main program parts of Windows, is protected by Windows so that is doesn't change while Windows is running unless an authorized program does it. You can still get around that. Linux has similar protective interfaces, but you can recompile the kernel, reboot and now you're using the new kernel. One of Linux's best protections is that it only runs what you tell it to run, whereas Windows has so many executable file types that it is at best unsecure (there are ways to protect yourself still, like run Firefox instead of Internet Explorer). If you are hacking wouldn't you want your system to be secure?

Anyway, also hacking isn't about breaking in to systems. You should read some other papers as well. Hacking is more about learning and gaining valuable information (not stealing credit card numbers) than breaking things. If you want to be a hacker-for-hire or ethical hacker, four of the best things you can do are do well in school, in college take networking and programming courses, attend ethical hacking school and conferences, and learn about security. Also DON'T get a criminal record. If you want companies to trust you then you have to maintain a character of trust.

Anyway welcome to HackThisSite.org.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by Devious Dave on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:26 pm
([msg=9081]see Re: Hacking with Linux[/msg])

Thank you VERY much for this. A thoughtful answer is appreciated.

I know hacking isn't all about breaking people's systems. It's (to me) breaking into systems, legally of course. I absolutely love computers and am good at web design and gaming and stuff, and I have never used anything but Windows before, and I played with software and manipulated it like a hacker before I even knew what one was. And I think hackers approach every day problems differently than regular people. "Outside the box", if you will. Even when I got my first computer, I messed around with it and played with all the functions that I could find. I went from a Windows 95 desktop to a Windows 98 desktop to a Windows XP laptop. I am now going to get a dell laptop with Ubuntu linux installed. Because Ubuntu is free, the 'tops are very cheap. A pretty good one costing ~$500. Sounds good to me. I also got the BackTrack LiveCD linux thing yesterday, and am playing around with and and experimenting. I like "db_autopwn" with metasploit ;)

Some people define hacking as all about programming stuff with nothing to do with security. Just using things like they weren't made for. Others associate hacking with illegal operations, credit card stealing, password stealing, and the like. I define hacking as doing exactly what black hat hackers do to break into systems, without all the stealing and messing up people's lives that black-hats throw in. If you do it with someone's permission, it's fine, to me. Without explicit permission, even if you don't steal anything or do anything bad, it's cracking. Cracking is the term I use to define illegal hacking. That's it. I also invented (I think) a new term: jacking. I use it for people who run botnets. Jackers are bad. Like A-Z, he's a jacker.

I practice on another computer that runs on my router. I learned how to Telnet today (booyah) and I made some files, renamed them, deleted them, made a new user account (Win XP) and gave it administrator access, it was all-around fun.

I'm going to buy some books about programming languages, namely Python, C, C#, Perl, PHP, MySQL, and two books called Wi-Foo II: The Secrets of Wireless Hacking, and Hacking: The Art of Exploitation. Anyone who wants to add onto the list of books I should get may do so. Also, I want to remind everyone that I do NOT put my own knowledge above other's. I am absolutely willing to learn from ANYONE who wants to teach me something.
Devious Dave
New User
New User

Post by beagle on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:52 am
([msg=9107]see Re: Hacking with Linux[/msg])

Try the book Hacking Exposed (Second Edition). It has every exploit you could think of, and how to use them.
Also, Cybershock.. It does'nt have much in terms of learning to hack, but it perfectly captures the hacker mindset.
Have fun!
beagle
Poster
Poster

Return to *nix