Deep Freeze on Windows XP

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Deep Freeze on Windows XP

Post by neonical on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 am
([msg=8877]see Deep Freeze on Windows XP[/msg])

If this should go elsewhere, please feel free to move it.

I am working right now at my local college, and we have been having issues with Deep Freeze in one of the computer labs. We had a password set to them - which still works elsewhere fine - but in this particular lab none of the computers are accepting it. We have tried other, old and new passwords we've used alike, and none of them work. Even attempts to use the OTP (One Time Password) has failed to show any results. I find it strange since the OTP Token, used to generate the OTP from the Administrator's main computer, is the same on all of these PC's in the lab.

I am not the Administrator. I work under him, and my coworker and I have been sent to try and find ways to bypass Deep Freeze. If we can't find a solution, we'll have to format one of the computers, set it up, probably ghost it, and then put it back on the other computers (since they are all the same anyway). This is quite the hassle and if I don't have to deal with it, I don't want to.

The Deep Freeze we have is version "6.20.220.1692". For those who don't know, Deep Freeze is a program made by Faronics that locks the computer in a certain state. Any changes you make disappear as it returns to that state upon restarting the computer. This means we cannot install new software at the moment, or do any sort of required updates. It's left us with quite a pickle.

Thanks.
neonical
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Deep Freeze on Windows XP

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:27 am
([msg=8879]see Re: Deep Freeze on Windows XP[/msg])

http://usuarios.arnet.com.ar/fliamarcon ... rial6.html

That link tells you how to manually uninstall it... hope that helps. :)
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Re: Deep Freeze on Windows XP

Post by bluerust on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:43 am
([msg=8948]see Re: Deep Freeze on Windows XP[/msg])

i think you can try to rename the file c:\Persi0.sys under dos or winpe.
my english is very poor...
i mean that boot up from cd/dvd,than enter dos or winpe.
attrib -s -h -r c:\persi0.sys
ren c:\persi0.sys p.sys

than reboot,it will be ok.good luck~~
bluerust
New User
New User

Return to Microsoft Windows