Modeling for HL2

Modeling for HL2

Post by Sonic7145 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:12 am
([msg=8732]see Modeling for HL2[/msg])

Anyone here have any experience with modeling for HL2/HL2 engine mods.?
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Modeling for HL2

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 pm
([msg=8881]see Re: Modeling for HL2[/msg])

No but I've done modeling for a bunch of other games and have HL2. I got it to mod.. but haven't had the time to do so yet. I might do that later today come to think of it.. that sounds fun. :) But most of my modeling experience is from the Sims 2 and TES Morrowind/Oblivion.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by Sonic7145 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:23 pm
([msg=8894]see Re: Modeling for HL2[/msg])

I've been working on importing custom weapon models, but whenever I look at them in game, the guy is always holding the wrong part of the weapon. :D
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 pm
([msg=8899]see Re: Modeling for HL2[/msg])

Well then I would recommend rotating the model respectively. If your character is holding the butt of the gun or appears to be cleaning the barrel with his mouth.. chances are its that way in the model, you just don't notice it do to crappy modeling software. You can't imagine the annoyance of testing a couch in the Sims to find that they have a cushion jabbed up their ass every time they sit down. :lol: Just rotate until its not at some crazy angle, even if your modeling software shows it at a funny angle, Half Life might show it differently. This was how it was for TES Morrowind. If you want some good Modeling software, just PM, I have some pretty useful stuff from back in the day from when i used to model.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by QtDevl on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:47 pm
([msg=8901]see Re: Modeling for HL2[/msg])

Sonic7145 wrote:Anyone here have any experience with modeling for HL2/HL2 engine mods.?

Well i did some hl2 models for my maps so i guess it counts:P cannonfodders tools for 3ds max to work with models and it has import/export features plus a plugin to import texture in vtf so you don't have to convert.just google them.As for the weapons being held wrong ....even if you import a weapon you must import skeleton too because it has some dummies associated with the weapon where the weapon should be held...Pm me for more info :D
If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom...
QtDevl
New User
New User

Post by Sonic7145 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:45 pm
([msg=9046]see Re: Modeling for HL2[/msg])

Mutants_r_us: Tried that, didn't help. I did think it has something to do with the skeleton.

QtDevl wrote:
Sonic7145 wrote:Anyone here have any experience with modeling for HL2/HL2 engine mods.?

Well i did some hl2 models for my maps so i guess it counts:P cannonfodders tools for 3ds max to work with models and it has import/export features plus a plugin to import texture in vtf so you don't have to convert.just google them.As for the weapons being held wrong ....even if you import a weapon you must import skeleton too because it has some dummies associated with the weapon where the weapon should be held...Pm me for more info :D

I think you're right, I'm pretty sure I messed up the skeleton. If you feel like taking a look:
http://rapidshare.de/files/40132050/models.rar.html
My edited SMD and the original, in .3ds format.
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Post by QtDevl on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:55 am
([msg=9366]see Re: Modeling for HL2[/msg])

I can't really help you atm because i am out of town but i will be very glad to help you in a week or so...however i can send you here http://www.gameflood.com/HL2weaponViewModel it is a tutorial on making a view weapon ,plus they have some nice things there like http://files.gameflood.com/sitefiles/view/HL2weaponViewModelKit.zip which is an archive that has some sample scene files and have some already made QC files that you could use with studio compiler...Hope i helped at least a little.I will however take a look at your weapon when i come back and fix it.
If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom...
QtDevl
New User
New User

Post by Sonic7145 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:53 pm
([msg=9389]see Re: Modeling for HL2[/msg])

Thanks very much. :)
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Return to Modeling and Animation